Ask for original (correct) form of a mantra

My friend gave me this mantra
OM PADMA CINTAMANI (MAHA) JVALA HUM
Does anyone know what its correct form would be?
A lot of mantras are changed when translated in our language.
I’ve been trying to figure out the correct form but haven’t found a trustable source yet.

Thank you! :pray:

3 Likes

Mantras should not be translated, the potency lies in the original language in which a mantra is phrased or composed. Did you ask from where your friend got this mantra? Has he chanted it before?

1 Like

The version of the mantra I am familiar with is: Oṃ padma cintāmaṇi jvala hūm

I assume when you say “translation” - it means the Tibetan/Chinese equivalent of this mantra?

If the mantra is phonetically different from the original form (like several Tibetan versions of the original Vajrayana/Sahajayana Sanskrit mantras), they still work if received from a competent preceptor who can:

• Transmit the seed essence of the mantra
  • Connect you to the lineage of teachers (Gurumandala) - which usually includes three kinds of teachers: Divyaugha (the original non-human divine beings who transmitted the mantra), Siddhaugha (the ethereal beings who were once human but transcended human form through the mantra), and Manavaugha (human teachers who attained perfection of the mantra).

This is still a revered mantra. These days anything is passed off as a mantra. I’ve even seen people make up mantras like OM Jesus something namah etc. :grimacing:

Some Buddhist Tantric mantras are “unlocked” and do not need an empowerment - like the Tara or Avalokiteshvara mantras. Most others, you need to receive it from someone who is empowered to transmit the seed essence of the mantra.

4 Likes

hahaha

All the clickbait videos - Mantra to lose weight in the upper left thigh NOWWW!

3 Likes