Captain Nemo Getting Mainstream Exposure...to Indians

My family watches the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The dude had this question at the £250,000 mark, with no lifelines. He ended up walking away with £125,000 because he didn’t know the answer. If only he was in this forum, he’d know the answer right away lol

Also, out of curiosity, they were pronouncing Nemo as nay-mo. Is the correct pronounciation knee-mo, like in the Disney animated movie, or nay-mo?

15 Likes

I would even pick it if it was wrong lol

3 Likes

I saw a question on there about how long it takes to wash one’s hands under the WHO COVID guidelines

3 Likes

I think its Knee-mo its latin based,
But I could be wrong,
people tend pronounce things the way it looks to them when spelt.

Having never heard someone verbally say the word Yatch as Yo 'ot
you would think it was pronounced Yahh tach.

9 Likes

On that same note, is Draconis Nagi Latin or Sanskrit? Sounds like it’s a hybrid…

1 Like

Sanskrit is related to Greek and Latin, as well as Hittite, Luwian, Old Avestan and many other living and extinct languages.

Sanskrit Latin German
pitar pater Vater
11 Likes

Of course. They’re all Indo-European languages aren’t they?

3 Likes

yes sir
so it means they can sometimes sound really close to each other.
but I just strung them together randomly

10 Likes

Omg one of my nightmare words i have to say a lot at work :expressionless: that and BEACH :laughing::anguished::persevere::unamused:

2 Likes

Although the languages that are mentioned on there are ones from the middle east and Europe. Hebrew, Aramaic and Phoenician are all Semitic Languages. And I’ve heard the Lebanese proudly proclaim that their ancestors (the phoenicians) invented the alphabet. So yeah, it’s no surprise that that alphabet spread to nearby Greece and then from Greece to Rome and from Rome to the rest of Europe. Probably has nothing to do with the actual language families themselves (the germans I think used to use Runes as their script).

3 Likes

There’s a huge disparity in education there, as well as access to North American entertainment, news, etc. Many people that play on this show, some only speak 1 language and know very little English, therefore they don’t know much outside of the Indian culture, The writers on this show have to create questions which are challenging, but also within the scope of knowledge that would make it fair for everyone. There’s many Indians in this forum so I won’t go into detail, but the movie, Slumdog Millionaire, showed this very well.

Tonight’s episode, a guy used the Phone a Friend lifeline on the second question, £200, because he didn’t know what sandpaper was.

7 Likes

Yeah, education and the way information passes is different everywhere. That was actually one of the easier questions and he got it right, I just thought it’s quite interesting how they are using current themes to make questions

2 Likes

…nemo is a latin word it literally means no one…and the correct pronunciation is nemo

2 Likes

The name is of Latin origin and comes from the noun nemo, “nobody”. Nemo is the name that Ulysses gave himself to deceive Polyphemus, who kept him locked up in a cave with his companions.

3 Likes

It’s knee - mo. You remember the movie Finding Nemo? Or the Nemo fish?

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. I was just curious since Disney likes to add or change things to make it their own.

1 Like