People in the environment influencing musical performance

Hi! I am sorry if this is quite a basic question to be asked (you can choose to ignore it). Being a musician I jam/rehearse/perform with people it makes me immensely happy and make me push myself with the spontaneity of the instrument that I play. The only thing that I have been trying to figure out is - in my imagination I want to play exactly like I play when I am in the room with myself but whenever I am with people, my musical elements and creativity and and overall thought process/skills/confidence etc changes completely. Of course at times there’s a boost in my performance as well when I am with the right people (or when people are energetically positive) but at times I feel pressure and tense (energetically) in the environment when I am with those people which leads degradation of musical performance. The question is - how can I not let others decide/influence how I feel in the moment so that I can give my best performance all the time no matter what other people in the environment are feeling. Or rather a conversion of their energy into something beautiful uplifting and positive (musically). I know it’s just my brain which wants this but I just want to play my instrument as openly everywhere just like I play in my room alone.

From a purely psychological standpoint, move out of your comfort zone in small steps. Play with one person in the room (preferably a friend) until you get comfortable with that. The next time, invite one more person. Establish comfort and a feeling of confidence. Grow your audience slowly until it doesn’t make any difference how many people there are. I’m sure some of the other folks in the forum will have some good sugesstions for fields to use, like the Energy Body/Aura Deep Clearing Cleaning, but the purely psychological factors also need to be taken into consideration.

1 Like

Extreme Confidence
Auric Repair
Depths of your soul

1 Like

So, here’s the good news. When you take a look at what’s going on at these times, you’ll discover that the pressure and the tension you’re experiencing is caused by you. Now, don’t get me wrong! I’m not being blameful here. This is actually good news, because you have a lot more options to influence what you’re doing than you have to influence what any of them are doing. (And there are so many of them–aren’t there?–all doing their own things. To try to influence them, well, that’s crazy-making, isn’t it?)

So, let’s start where you have the most power and the most leverage, and that’s with you! (Yay!)

Like I said, you have tons of options you could use to influence what you’re doing–so many options that I could monopolize this thread and turn it into a small book. (I’m not going to.) So, let me share with you just one which I think you’re really going to like.

I’d like you to remember a jam session or rehearsal that went exceptionally well for you, where you were really pleased by the whole experience. Where you were just blowing and flowing, totally in the zone, in synch with your instrument, in synch with the piece(s) you were playing, in synch with the music you were producing, in synch with the other musicians, in synch even with the chair and the room. Just pick one of those times. (That’ll make things so much easier for you.)

Now, relive that experience, in as much detail as you can recall. Really immerse yourself in that memory. And if there are any missing “gaps” in the memory, fill it in in the way you most want it. Whilst you’re at it–since this is in the privacy of your own mind–tune up any parts of your memory to your liking. (There’s no audience watching what you do with your memory so you can jam and riff with your memory to your heart’s content.) After all, you have all the control over your memory. You can raise or lower the volume, to your liking. You can give yourself “better” lighting. Whatever you like!

As you’re doing this (and you’ll probably have to run through this a few times to do this next part) start to pay attention to your experience, particularly in your body. Where do you feel the most comfort in your body? Notice where that comfort starts from and where it spreads to next, and then next, and then next… What’s your posture like? Notice all the details of your posture, particularly what you like about it.

And when you’re in that posture, how are you breathing? Where are you breathing from? Down in the belly? Or in the upper chest? Or somewhere else? And how are you breathing? Are you breathing up and down? Front to back? Or some other way?

And as you’re immersing yourself deeper and deeper into that memory, deeper into that flow, deeper into that comfort, notice what your “energy” is doing. Is it located in one place? Is it moving? How is it moving? How is it moving in relation to the music you’re creating? Where is it moving to? Where are you feeling your “energy” as it moves? Really notice all of your experience right down to the cellular level. (BTW, all of this should be really fun for you. If it’s not, then we have a different conversation before us.)

When you’ve explored this as deep as you can, right down to the cellular level, take a mental snapshot of how you are in this experience.

Now, as a musician, you’re no stranger to rehearsals, so the next part will be a piece of cake for you. Set an hourly alarm (or when it’s convenient for you, but a frequent alarm) on your phone. When your alarm goes off, rehearse all these things you’ve noticed. Sometimes, just remembering (as we’ve just done) will be enough. Other times, you might notice that the way you’re now breathing is different from the way you were breathing then. Other times, you might start by adjusting your posture.

In much the same way that you practiced your scales or your chords or your fingerings before you ever played before someone else, you can practice this way of being (which your mind and body has remembered) in advance of your next performance.

And as you continue to jam/rehearse/perform your music, you can notice new parts of your experience and add them to this memory you’re practicing.

Sure, I can recommend fields or sigils or NFTS, but sometimes, they become a crutch. If you get onstage without your NFT or your servitors, you’re screwed. But you can never leave the skill you’ve been practicing at home or backstage. :wink:

Plus this practice demonstrates to you the power that you have, which is way greater than the power that “they” can exert upon you.

3 Likes

Great advice @WellBeing! :clap: This reply deserves a gold star! :star2:
Thank you for always taking the time to share you awesome, detailed and well thought out advice with all of us! You are greatly appreciated! :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you for your amazing response @FuzzyPops @anon75179789

2 Likes

I was being guided towards this intuitively but I couldn’t understand it as clearly as the steps were unclear in my head. Thank you so much for clearing it out it means a lot. I will apply it out asap. I understand better now as I need to conceptually realise the moment when I totally blissed out playing on my own and need to hold that concept in my head whenever I need to repeat it be it anywhere. :)

I mean not just my head but my whole aura :p

That’s great. Glad that was helpful to you.

Just remember that it’s unrealistic for you to insist you “need to hold” anything. You have to rehearse yourself into that ability in advance.

And it may seem that I’m being nitpicky here. It’s just that words matter. Making demands of yourself (like “needing to hold”–Do you, truly need that? What happens if you fail in your need?) might be one of the ways you’re creating the pressure and tension you were recalling in your OP.

And that’s good news, too, because you can have compete control over the words you think and say to yourself.

For example, can you feel the difference between

• I need to hold that… And
  • I really like it when I do that?

So, wow, you got two approaches you can play with and rehearse, and we’re still early in your thread! Good for you.

3 Likes

That’s amazing thank you again for this deep insight. It’s slowly opening up my mind. I actually do a put of pressure on my own self because I am too critical of myself while playing it. While there are times when I feel completely lost and still without focusing on things to get right musically, they are automatically going right and feeling amazing as well.

1 Like

Now, that’s great! Because you can have lots of control over this, and as you realize this, you won’t need to protect yourself (too strong a phrase) from what your audience may or mayn’t be doing. And I bet having any meaningful barrier between you and your audience would diminish the performance you want to provide for them.

So, here are a few more things you can play with:

• Include your enjoyment in your pre-playing intention. I’m sure you set an intention prior to playing. And if you don’t yet, it’s a helpful practice to begin. “What do I want from this experience I’m about to enter? How will I know if I’ve accomplished that experience? How will I be as person when I have that experience?”
  • The Self Love fields to counteract your old habits of pressuring and criticizing yourself.
  • When you do notice yourself criticizing yourself (it happens), hear that criticism in a silly voice. (It’s hard for me to take seriously anything that Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck says. Maybe that’s Homer Simpson for you?)

(See? I wasn’t kidding about all the options you can use on this situation. :slightly_smiling_face: )

2 Likes

You are very welcome :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these ideas. I will play around with these as well. Thanks a lot everyone. Too much adventure to witness now and make the magic happen 🥹

1 Like