Traffic and Data Problems

Hello,
Discourse has emailed me, which I expected.
Hey Team,

We just noticed that your site has been serving massive amounts of traffic and touching nearly 1 million page-views/mo over the last few months. As mentioned on Free hosting for Patreon creators, this is 20 times the traffic allowed on our free hosting plan and we’re unable to host your site for much longer if you don’t upgrade to the required paid plan or move your Discourse site to another hosting provider.

From the same blog post:

If you exceed our bandwidth limit (for several consecutive months) you have two options:

1. We’ll help you move to self-hosting, either on your own server or any Docker compatible cloud (a $20/month Digital Ocean droplet should suffice).
  2. Upgrade to our Standard hosting plan at 50% off.

On Discourse pricing | Discourse - Civilized Discussion, you can see that the Standard plan ships with 100k views and the Business plan ships with 500k views so both will not work here. The only option here is to upgrade to the Enterprise plan right away (Discourse Enterprise | Discourse - Civilized Discussion):

From this, I think they are saying a move to digital ocean might be better.
because their enterprise plan is 1500 a month,
which I was hoping the adsense here would have covered when the time comes, but adsense barely makes 100 dollars a month.

So what can we do?

11 Likes

Lemme think…

1 Like

Can you PM me your total bandwidth used?

1 Like

First thought is Discord without any other info…

1 Like

I don’t mind either way
problem there would be the data / thread info lost

2 Likes

Host it on your own VPS server.

They will help with to move all the data on your server as well.

4 Likes

Ok yeah, so I guess move to self-hosting on Digital Ocean cloud… especially if they are offering to port everything over.

4 Likes

Discord is a nice idea because its more personal but would be a pain with coordinating threads courses etc.
wont be fun to make for every 100 theards 100 text channels

5 Likes

agreed! we could have both! discord is best for more social settings and a forum is better for guides and longer discussions.

1 Like

Discord would just be nice to get to know each other and fun around but it wont have the same vibe if sammyg and dream arent in that server so its up to them to decide

1 Like

Man, this forum and all the data can be moved to forum.enlightenedstates.com domain. not a hard thing to do.

Dream is already paying for “enlightenedstates.com” VPS server. So, host it there.

3 Likes

Okay, that’s just flat out disrespectful. Have you and Sammy thought of adding adds to the site? I know this will probably bring bad ads to the site, but specific keywords can potentially increase the revenue you guys get ($3k a month) from the traffic you already have. I’m sure a lot of us wouldn’t mind whitelisting in our ad-block tools. What you’ll need to do is upload more articles on the site (This shouldn’t be too hard as many here would love to contribute, for everything yah have done). I can contact Sammy and maybe work with him. It might be rough, but I’m sure a lot of people are willing to help. Just let us if you want :heart:

5 Likes

we have started to advertise the course.
counter productive to promote other products and course if we do adsense advertising.
Besides we would be penalized as ‘traffic baiting’

5 Likes

You wouldn’t necessarily advertise another product; the articles would be about energy expansion and morphic fields. Advertisers will target the site based on keywords, and you guys make some commission. I don’t know about the traffic baiting, but maybe we can look at the finer points for the terms of service.

Meh. Just expect to be banned by Adsense at some point. It’s inevitable.

Let’s get the forum hosting sorted, then we can talk monetization.

But yeah, adsense has always been a sub-optimal monetization method.

4 Likes

AdSense and Adwords both are different bra.

You use Google Adwords to advertise your products on other people’s sites.

You use Google AdSense to advertise other people’s ads on your site. (For Adsense, search engine traffic is good, social media traffic doesn’t suit AdSense. ad misplacement “invalid click” buying traffic makes you banned if you do everything legally then no harm nothing to worry. )

5 Likes

oh dunno man
Samuel is doing it.
adwords adsense ad sentences whatever man

10 Likes

Okay, man. :wink:

Check PM.

Would be unfortunate to lose all the topics and discussions we have created here.
Have you considered raising the price of your patreon-plans by 1$ to cover the costs?
I am sure everyone will gladly help out

7 Likes