What is FOMO? Ways to better identify with self?

what is FOMO?

Fear of Missing Out

When studying psychology I came across arguments that certain conditions/disorders didn’t historically exist until a name had been created to diagnose. PTSD for example. I don’t recall the studies but the idea was that the number of people diagnosed with the symptoms defined as PTSD was significantly higher this century than the previous century, even though the same set of symptoms would presumably have existed.

Anyway, my thought is that giving a name and directing energy toward, creates connection and possibility of expansion. A simpler example is, naming an animal.

Some other thoughts include the evolutionary nature of humans. Like herd mentality or not being the last one, wanting to survive, or just wanting to be part of the group.

With the age of the internet and social media, its easy for the mind to identify certain experiences by text/image/video, perhaps picking up on some of that energy, and wanting to connect. Yet those moments have already past and are records. Without physically or energetically being there, you weren’t involved…even though the mind may like otherwise. I guess there is still residue of wanting to be part of the larger ebbs & currents, the Hype, the bandwagon or some similar term.

Personally, I still have a hard time understanding FOMO. Yet I can see that it’s an issue or possible limitation for many, or even just the phrase used to describe/explain their state.

What is there to fear? What are you missing out?
I believe there are good, best paths in life. Why not just align with those? What would be better than best?
I suppose there is a perception that the idea is easier to express than as a choice to live…

Maybe learning to accept any possible moment as it emerges, and choosing the moments that best align.

What are some remedies for best aligning with your “true self?”

3 Likes

For me the feeling that people call FOMO was always associated with greed, covetousness let’s say, fear if ever present being a mobilising residue. So maybe name can be changed but greed in its core still should be addressed by work on inner self.

1 Like

FOMO, according to my understanding, is basically:

At some point you somehow decided (consciously or unconsciously) that you want to go somewhere, do something, experience something or be something particular.

And then you are afraid that you will not be able to do so (lack of belief into your own power, low self-esteem, low confidence, not feeling good enough, not feeling worthy enough).

Additionally, you are afraid that you will not be able to do so in time, which is an urgency factor added in from the ego (because we experience time in the physical universe).

It is the fear of knowing where you want to go but at the same time being clueless and feeling powerless on how to actually get there (and how to get there in time) and then assuming that your existence is threatened if you don’t make it there.

A big part of healing FOMO is healing the Root Chakra and re-gaining universal basic trust in life and the universe.

On the physical side, Amygdala Healing field will help a lot too.

3 Likes

Fomo is a manifestation of a lack mindset.
There’s this neat little tool called sapienmed thankfully, to easily overcome it.

3 Likes