What Is Freedom To You?

We read about freedom, dream about freedom, and rejoice in the idea of freedom. Freedom means many things to many people.

What does true freedom look like? What does it feel like when you attain it?

We think that once our particular freedom is achieved, all our problems will be solved. Why?

It is interesting that many of the freedoms we seek today are seen as ends in themselves, as a final goal to be attained.

It’s as though we think that once our particular freedom is achieved, all our problems will be solved. Will it? Because we’ll have freedom! But freedom from what? And freedom to do or be what?

5 Likes

One of my favorite ways to understand something is to also try to determine what the opposite of that thing is, so I can try understand both in relation to each other.

As I see it, the opposite of freedom is security, or safety provided by someone else. Put freedom and security on a linear scale opposite each other, and everyone will have a different place where they’re comfortable, based on their own values and fears.

What would ultimate freedom with zero security look like? I visualize that as being dropped alone in the wilderness. Danger everywhere, but you can do whatever you want.

What would ultimate security without freedom look like? I see that as prison. Others provide everything for you, but you are completely at their mercy and have no rights yourself. I suppose you could also make an argument that it’s slavery…

Thoughts?

2 Likes

To me freedom means Sapiens fields having an effect on me…

4 Likes

5 Likes

It has a few levels of meaning to me, but yes.

You edited your question but I can still agree with you.

1 Like

That is a good perspective.

Partially i think that freedom could be related to overcoming all of your fears that hold you back and prevent you from embracing the unknown.

As humans i believe we find ourselves in a difficult position. The moment we think about our state in this world we long for liberation and freedom. we crave deep down to be free from resentfulness, grudges, traumas, mistrust, complexes, reactiveness, depression, expectations, standards, self judgment etc.

Some say personal freedom is complete awareness. That it comes through a deep understanding and a deep awareness of life.

Throughout our lives, many of us fail to grow to love ourselves, and when we do find someone else who loves us, we become overwhelmed with happiness. Very quickly we throw our happiness into the other person’s hands thinking they’ll fulfill everything we desire out of life , but in doing so we have enslaved ourselves to them. How?

For example, when they connect with someone else we feel jealous. When they don’t behave the way we expect them to, we become angry. We lack so much awareness of ourselves that we blame them constantly, and in doing so we imprison them in our own cells of expectations.

When Someone cuts us off on the road, we blame them as ‘idiots’ and become angry instead of taking responsibility for our patience, tolerance and expectations of others. The truth is that we never made a deal with them that they shouldn’t behave the way they do – we only project our ideals of responsibility onto them so they don’t make our lives more difficult. We never stop to think that the key to freedom is changing something inside of us, rather than something on the outside.

To be free from all that binds you, from all that is false, Freedom from past thoughts and future expectations. Free to be, to exist, to experience joy, innocence, consciousness, and is entirely, internally of the present moment.

These are just some thoughts i had.

4 Likes

Yes, exactly. This makes me think of co-dependency. It’s like an invisible toxin, so damaging, so hard to be aware of, because it’s hiding behind the one thing we don’t want to look at, our hurts and weaknesses.

Insightful man.

It’s interesting, as I got to the end of what you wrote, I realized that I was thinking of freedom entirely as an external or societal concept, whereas it seems to me that you’re interpreting it internally, personally. Hmm…

2 Likes

5 Likes

Even though you deleted this, that’s kinda the point I was getting at initially. People say they want total freedom, but drop them off alone in the woods, say good luck, and leave, and they won’t be happy at all with all their newfound freedoms.

But, again that’s thinking of freedom in an external conflict, which is always how I’ve considered it. I think Frequency’s gonna have me thinking about internal freedom for a while…

2 Likes

great topic and i second this! this was the most frustrating thing to realize that it doesn’t come naturally and i had to practice at it and still do.

right now my current ideal of freedom in this reality is to control how i emotionally feel and how i mentally perceive.

3 Likes

I believe the concept of freedom means different things to different people, depending on the personal filters, experiences, and upbringing you have in your life.

I think it is quite an abstract thing which is different for each individual. However, it cannot be described in simple words, because the word itself contains numerous deeper meanings. It depends on the individual understanding of freedom, and each of us understands it in different ways.

I believe every perception a person has is based upon their own personal experience. People perceive the world differently because no two people have the same experiences. Experience makes us who we are. It shapes our minds and opinions, our likes and dislikes. Therefore, it is difficult to have one ideal definition of certain concepts.

Never the less i love hearing about all your perspectives and ideas and seeing your point of views.

What are your guys’s thoughts?

1 Like

I just think freedom is a feeling or perception that can be found in any situation.

Without restrictions you can´t really experience freedom either.
Total freedom would be dissolution and even then one probably are under some cosmic law /restraint.

Freedom from poverty can mean money. But if one have some issues with the money energy and what comes with it, the life can certainly feel limited in some ways despite the wealth.

And limitations can bring on creativity that gives freedom. Or a sense of it at least.

I land in that in any situation or moment one can choose what kind of freedom to strive for and accept eventual limitations that comes with it.

12 Likes

Nice. Thanks for sharing that.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

@Samurai the bad boy wants some freedom. :joy:

2 Likes

If power is one capacity to change the world, I wpuld say that freedom is very related to this.

Otherwise I just tell myself that freedom is accept to world as it is.

So confusing.

5 Likes

For me freedom would be to do in this earthly life what I can do in lucid.
Moment when I find that whole our life is one big lucid dream.
Something like that for me is conception of freedom.

4 Likes

Paradox, right

Having power to something change or just simply let it go to be, just be

2 Likes

exactly! i love games so my analogy would be our dreams is single player minecraft and our reality is like an mmorpg. minecraft and mmorpgs are different but both are still games in its essence.

dreams and reality are pretty much the same for me but with different rules. in their essence it feels like they’re the opposite faces of the same coin (my belief).

6 Likes

Freedom is knowing who you really are and not what you are being told you are.
Not being overly attached to your ego.
Basically what religion and ancient civilizations have been saying for centuries.

(imo)

2 Likes