How to Improve Neurotransmitter Production

Neurotransmitters are chemical molecules synthesized in the brain and the gut and carry the signals between brain cells, so basically, neurotransmitters enable neurons to communicate and exchange important information for our survival.

There are hundreds of neurotransmitters, and some of them, such as serotonin, acetylcholine, dopamine, norepinephrine, GABA glutamate, play a vital role.

They can be categorized into two groups.

First excitatory neurotransmitters have an excitatory effect on the neuron.

Second inhibitory neurotransmitters and they have an inhibitory effect on the neuron.

Maintaining a good balance between excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters is crucial for our health. The brain constantly works to maintain the balance in neurochemical systems by continuous neurobiological and synaptic shifts.

For example, inhibitory neurotransmitters come to the driver’s seat before we go to bed and during the daytime excitatory neurotransmitters come to the driver’s seat. This gear switch happens naturally when we are healthy, but for whatever reason, if the gear is broken, we would develop serious problems. Anyone neurotransmitter can obsess the entire balance of the brain, there are multiple mechanisms involved with the imbalance of the neurotransmitters.

The following are the major factors:

1. too little production over one or more neurotransmitters
  2. too much production over one or more neurotransmitters number
  3. prematurely absorbing process of neurotransmitters
  4. premature activation process by hyperactive enzymes

Neurotransmitter imbalances can cause many illnesses, including:

cognitive function decline
compromised focus
anxiety
headache
chronic pain
insomnia
irritable bowel syndrome
hormone imbalance
depression
fibromyalgia

Now let’s look at the leading causes of neurotransmitter imbalances.

1. certain drugs, especially cholesterol-lowering medications.
  2. excessive stimulant use such as caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.
  3. prolonged periods of stress since he can deplete certain neurotransmitters.
  4. toxic substances like heavy metals.
  5. poor diet, neurotransmitters are made in the body from protein and a certain nutrient called “cofactors”.
  6. pour gut ecosystem and the digestive issues.

Our gut is our second brain and it produce neurotransmitters as well for example the majority of serotonin is actually produced in the Gut. Also, without good digestion, we cannot absorb all the necessary amino acids and cofactors.

Then what should we do to maintain proper production and a good balance of neurotransmitters?

We need to pay attention to what we eat. Eating enough protein is absolutely necessary because we need amino acids such as tyrosine and tryptophan, and also we need various cofactors of a neurotransmitter production such as:

colon
zinc
iron
omega-3 fatty acid
vitamin B6 and the B12
vitamin C and D

So take multivitamins along with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B and D Supplements. Since multivitamin does not have enough vitamin B and vitamin D for proper neurotransmitter production.

Also, getting enough sleep and maintaining a regular hour to go to bed is necessary, and regular exercise, and meditation is beneficial as well since going through a prolonged period of stress is very harmful for neurotransmitter balance.

Handling stress with meditation is a big help, but meditation also has another interesting effect, according to a study by Sarah Lhasa, a neuroscientist at Harvard Medical School:

Eight weeks of daily meditation increased the size of Pons, an area of the brain stem where a lot of regulatory neurotransmitters are produced.

Q: What did you find?

Lazar: We found differences in brain volume after eight weeks in five different regions in the brains of the two groups. In the group that learned meditation, we found thickening in four regions:

1. The primary difference, we found in the posterior cingulate, which is involved in mind wandering, and self relevance .

2. The left hippocampus, which assists in learning, cognition, memory and emotional regulation.

3. The temporo parietal junction, or TPJ, which is associated with perspective taking, empathy and compassion.

4. An area of the brain stem called the Pons, where a lot of regulatory neurotransmitters are produced .

The amygdala, the fight or flight part of the brain which is important for anxiety, fear and stress in general. That area got smaller in the group that went through the mindfulness-based stress reduction program.

The change in the amygdala was also correlated to a reduction in stress levels.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/26/harvard-neuroscientist-meditation-not-only-reduces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/

20 Likes

Thank you @Zen ! And thank you @JAAJ as well for recommending Spirulina this also has many of the amino acids we need I’ve recently discovered

3 Likes

Thank you for this, I personally also suffer a chemical / endocrine system and neurotransmitter imbalance due to an extreme prolonged stressful time, alongside drug usage, bad sleep and a lack of sunlight.

Currently focused upon restoring pristine health.

I’m using Krill Oil for Omega-3, eating several raw eggs for Vitamin D and omega 3, using Vitamin D + K supplement, taking a multi-vitamin and using the following supplementation before sleep – Lemon Balm, Tart Berry, L-theanine, L-tryptophan, Black Seed Oil, NAC, Glycine, and a nootropic blend which has (Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Taurine, L-Glutamine, CDP-Choline, Phosphatidylserine, Phosphatidylcholie).

Is there an audio from Sapien Medicine that I can use to restore hormonal and neurotransmitter balance & harmony, while healing the Gut and Brain?

Or something else I can do that I’m missing?

I’d greatly appreciate it, thank you!

2 Likes

I think Youth Recapture field can do that. “I think”.

1 Like

Thank you for this @Zen