If it was or if it were to receive an update? - - - Learn English and/or any Language You Want on the Forum

First question: Is “Have you taken correct”?
Maybe “did you took” is better?

To take or not to take - help us learn English.

Thanks.

Small Edit: This Thread is for Language Enthusiasts, it is for anyone who wants to talk about Language(s), in a serious or funny way, you can post links, recommendations, tell us about your favorite languages, words, etc.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I’m NOT a linguist, so this thread is for Amateurish talk, although Linguists ARE Welcomed (Please Teach Us, For FREE Of Course - lol, I’m just joking).

4 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but I think those two are wrong lol… here in murrica we say “did you take it?”,

3 Likes

Lol, two choices, both wrong.

1 Like

U should use it in a complete sentence.

3 Likes

Have you taken the vaccine? Lol

3 Likes

Correct

5 Likes

@SoulStar33

you are the thread God man going for guinness record

3 Likes

Really?
I could give lessons from now on lol.

1 Like

Go for it!

2 Likes

Being inspired by your impossibly high achievements.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

I did get results

Or

I did got results

??

Man, Me and English Verbs are Not the best friends… :sweat_smile:

Example: I did g.t results from that field.

Hope some Native English Speaker (American, British, Australian, Canadian, etc.) or a Good English User/Speaker can Enlighten me.

Never mind

Indians DOMINATE (on) Quora.

Im always confused by “the” thingy. I know we are supposed to add this when we talk about something specific but it means nothing, at least in my language :stuck_out_tongue: Its really confusing

1 Like

Idk, but “the” is supposed to highlight a certain object or rather the object, to emphasize it, in Romanian it exists, but at the end of the word.

For example: porc = pig
Un porc = a pig (“Un” or “o”, depending on the gender = English “a” or “an”)

Now, Porcul, This is different, it is The Pig, you can refer to a certain pig or maybe your pig, but not just any random pig (although you can use it to talk about random ones too lol… Crazy, languages that is), so that “ul” After porc (porc + ul, porcul, That is the pig)…

Anyway, I’m not a linguist and I would need to search the web to give a proper explanation, but at least I tried, I’m not a pig :rofl:

Disclaimer: No one is a pig, everyone, please understand that I wanted to use a funny example/word.

Lol, now someone might think that “no one is a pig”, suspiciously followed by “everyone”, might indicate thst I’m calling Everyone a pig lol…

Language IS Crazy.

2 Likes

OK…

To continue the pig examples lol…
This is funny.

• (Person 1) Ce avem la cină? (What we have for dinner?)
  • (Person 2) Porc, cotlet de porc (porc, pork chop) (here it is used as just a word, no emphasis)

• Ai cumpărat un porc de nota 10, felicitări. (You bought a perfect pig, congratulations)
  • Mersi. (here we have “a pig”, it’s someone’s pig, not just any pig)

• Porcul este un animal minunat, nu ar trebui să fie sacrificat, dacă nu este absolut necesar. (The pig is a Wonderful animal, it should not be sacrificed, unless/if it’s not absolutely necessary)
  • De acord (I Agree). (here, in this example, it’s about the pig as a generalization, emphasizing not one individual pig, but the pig as an animal, all pigs, if you want)

• Porcul acesta este obez (Lol) (this pig is obese)
    (now, the pig, in this case, it’s about a certain one)… (I’m not saying that obese people are pigs lol, I’m obese myself lol)

It’s confusing… Lol

I don’t know if these examples helped lol…

1 Like

I HOPE no one flags my pig examples, they are nice, my examples And pigs too (maybe too nice for some people… Go Vegetarian My Friends, Pigs Lives Matter - There, I SAID IT!).

1 Like

If the statue of Liberty was to receive an update

Or

If the statue of Liberty were to receive an update

??

Afaik, both are acceptable. Were is probably MORE acceptable in more formal settings (and the various AI seem to back this idea), but yeah, both would work.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that.
Thank You.

1 Like