If you could live forever, would you?

Compound interest without an estate tax? Probably not.

The elites or just about anyone with more cash than years tries to convert that cash into more life. Alexander the Great is just one of many who searched for immortality. Look at end-of-life medical spending—people want to live. The idea that people don’t want to outlive their cohort is nonsense, but that idea that was once pushed as a consolation to offset the tragedy of death is not presented as an idea not to pursue life extension now that it is within our grasp. Life extension will present problems, of course, but hardly on the scale that death does.

2 Likes

Yes, I would like to live forever, in good health and young again, with magical powers, and lots of money. Would be great!

3 Likes

Absolutely not!

Just as there is no light without darkness and no peace without chaos, there is no life without death. There’s no escape from that basic truth. It is not something to be feared or avoided.

I definitely wouldn’t want to be in this life, watching everyone die around me, watching civilization deteriorating and the last days of the Earth. Not only that, but as years pass, you would not only become bored, but also apathetic. It’s nothing but entropy.

I believe that the soul is immortal. There’s no need for the body to be the same.

3 Likes

Perhaps u would find like-minded (immortal) friends as well :slight_smile:

Anyways, some absolute agreement with omniverse about being absolutely immortal is not very likely to say the least. But u can fs keep your body young and healthy, maybe forever. And with fields to avoid dangers, etc. maybe u can just live for as long as u like, maybe forever but if u decide to end, u will simply end. I think that can work and is more likely to exist than the 1st Scenario.

2 Likes

Assuming living forever as in perfect immortality (perfect health and physical condition forever, at all times) yes. The lifespan of a mere 100 years is literally nothing. Also, time passes faster the longer you live because each year is a smaller fraction of your total existence (as a child a year felt like a long time but now it comes and goes). Your ancestors merely two hundred years ago could not experience 90% of the things in our daily lives today. Are you not curious to see how our civilisation will develop and what new stuff will be created? Also I believe that many people who do not “fear death” have some sort of belief in some continuation in their existence (religion, spirituality etc.). Would you still want to die if you found out there is nothing after death?

Perhaps one day humanity can traverse the galaxy and meet real alien species. Would you not want to see that? Also depending on the source of your immortality (biological or supernatural) you can potentially have descendants who are similarly immortal or long lived at least.

4 Likes

Nope, 100 years would be too much for me.

for those who think death is no big deal, why run away from it then ?

You’re just trading in your physical vessel for a new one. Just like a car. Latest model. Just a minor inconvenience.

Just stay healthy… don’t think about it :man_shrugging:

I also don’t believe that if you love something you want it to happen every single day forever. Things are not more beautiful because they last forever.

Like a good tv show, it was awesome, now it’s time to wrap it up if the mission was accomplished, said and done.

That’s not what I believe, but if death is no big thing but a transition, you might deprive yourself of the opportunity to live on another planet as another specie.

Living forever because you love your life feels like eating your best meal everyday, playing your favorite game everyday. It’s gonna get old even if you don’t.

Once you’ve been almost everywhere, once you’ve seen and experienced almost everything over and over, everything is just Deja vue, mundane. Every story becomes a trope, every emotion just another fragment of the human condition.

4 Likes

Yes, but it could take Eons to do many of the things that a human can do, to learn many, if not most things possible to a human.

That’s why I would find 100 years too little.

However, I can see your point, indeed, I might miss on something much better, including better body, genes, mind, creativity, potential, new and exciting places, perhaps much more beautiful than what we can experience as humans…

Idk, but I would still like a couple thousands years (nothing really, on the grand scale of time) minimum, to truly learn better about humanity or rather my experience as a human,whst I can do, learn, be, live.

3 Likes

You see, that is the reason why Source constantly re-invents itself anew again and again.

It has already seen and done everything infinite amount of times.

If it would not constantly re-invent itself anew, it would “die”, i.e. entropically decay, out of boredom.

The solution to enjoying eternity is to learn to be in constant proactive creation and manifestation mode (just like the Source :boom:).

4 Likes

Boom. You made my point.

Thank you :joy:

1 Like

Not necessarily. I believe that death is no big thing, but I also believe in reincarnation.

@EmpressReborn
I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you meant to say :grimacing:

I mean that death of the body is no big deal because I believe that you are reincarnated into another body, whether that’s on Earth or elsewhere.

2 Likes

@EmpressReborn
Oh, yes, almost everybody who thinks death is no big deal do so because they believe in reincarnation.

It goes hand in hand

My point was if you believe in reincarnation, living forever this life would deprives you of other reincarnation.

2 Likes

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood.

That really does sound like something Dr Manhattan would say in the comics

1 Like

That is true. However something that bothers me is that if reincarnation is true why don’t I (and most of us) remember any of our past lives? Would we lose our memories when we reincarnate again? If that’s the case I’d rather not reincarnate, as the me that I am now will by all means cease to exist without any of my memories. It’s essentially recycling my current self to make a completely new entity.

Dream said that we basically keep incarnating to evolve and learn. But knowing your past lives, u may have not learnt the way ur supposed to. After all, we learn the best as Tabula Rasa.

@LittleOwl

“YOU” is not the source, not your higher self, not your soul. The you that is reincarnated in a physical world rely on a physical brain. You can channel things and connect to these “you” but you are just the reincarnation.

Your behavior guides your embodied growth and evolution which will guide your further reincarnations. You can go up and down.

You are the pion in the game.
The source is the source, the higher self is the higher self, you are not all your reincarnations. A higher form of you is (dirty way to put it).

The source is not waking up in the morning to go to the office, neither is your soul or higher self. You are, the homo sapien incarnation.

When you play a video game, your avatar doesn’t remember you not sleeping that night or you eating a big bowl of beans or the other games you played with other avatars. But it’s gonna influence your gameplay.

Some souls can afford to play a better incarnation with season passes and DLCs.

With a gamer tag, you can store the metadata from multiple games under one account. The residue of all those incarnation aggregates and generates something bigger and deeper on another plane. But you’re still just the current reincarnation.

If you catch my drift

5 Likes

Yea I catch the drift. I feel it kinda sucks though, because if we follow the video game analogy/comparison I lose interest in the video game after a while, the character basically ceases to exist and loses meaning. In the same vein I am a mere avatar and incarnation that has the same level of significance or insignificance, and an equally short existence as well.

That’s why If that’s the case then reincarnation doesn’t matter to the ME now. The one typing this post. I won’t get to experience or enjoy it right, it’s the “source” or “higher self” that gets to. When the game ends, I as the equivalent of the lower dimensional character ceases to exist entirely (assuming the above context) In my personal opinion, reincarnation is only a perk or something to be desired if I (the me that is thinking and typing now) experience it.

Well, I’ll obstinately and stubbornly hold on to the hope that by sheer force of will and desire and some magic I will experience my desired continuity even as a mere incarnation of a “higher self”.

Pretty much even worse than my original concept of recycling the soul, since the future reincarnations don’t even have any thing from the current us now lol. It’s not an involved process for us.