Magna Germania Und Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation - - - History Thread - The Many Manly Men of History, War and Civilizations

Yeah, as he mentioned towards the end, the Greeks started with more egalitarian societies, then developed into Dictatorships (Autocracies); I like that he mentioned different worlds/realities, but, I ask myself, how awful those that have it worse than ours must be…

Also, in those more perfected worlds/realities, Ego seems to build itself back, it’s like mold or dust, so it’s a matter of time before they are “back to reality” (ours or like ours - where it’s all about the rules…)…

Thank You for sharing.

3 Likes

@DR_MANHATTAN :wink:

2 Likes

@JAAJ
But did they have social security ?
What’s the minimum wage in Ancient Rome ?

Haha,
But yes, they were great

I stand by my belief that you can only compare civilizations against their contemporaries.

The richest Roman would be below the poverty line nowadays. It doesn’t make sense in our time.

They pooped in buckets

I’d prefer to be a 21th century American oligarch with private jet, mega yacht, 15 car garage in each of his 40 houses all around the world rather than be a French emperor and I’d prefer being a French emperor rather than an emperor of Rome. My doctors wouldn’t bleed me to death to cure my cough.

Besides the gold and heavy stones, they lived like hobos with giga social status.

I’d lay down with a chick and come back with smallpox

3 Likes

Yes they had.

There were public give-outs of free breed.
Also free water from public equaducts.
They also invented the alimony payments to feed children.

Does not look like buckets to me…

https://www.google.com/search?q=roman+public+toilet&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrzKXZ0b7_AhVgi_0HHc2DBfMQ_AUoAXoECAQQAw&biw=1908&bih=1981

Go back upwards to the comparison metrics that I suggested.
This isn’t a debate in which Century life is nicer.
If I could, I would leave this shithole 21st Century at any time and go into the future.

3 Likes

Oh, I agree with this, but history is such a beautiful subject/field, can’t help studying and admiring previous peoples, Civilizations, empires or tribes.

Now, where is my mega yacht?! :grinning:

1 Like

Idk how the future looks, if only I could choose, I might do it, but Idk, I feel like my family is more important than any future society… :sweat_smile:

You know what I meant

You made a joke about Romans and the savages. I made another joke.

All that to say, when the Franks invaded they slowly but surely pushed all the other tribes past the Pyrenees and Alps and secured their hexagone/ natural fortress.

It’s like saying because a tribe in what is now called Israel got invaded by the Romans, the Jews have lost a war in Israel thousands of years ago. The blue eyed people we call Jews today have never been there before.

Same land different people

Culturally, Romans were giants. Everybody loves them, I do too. Everybody learned from them.
I said I didn’t want to debate that many times man

Now, when the Romans eventually met the Franks, they didn’t get a re-do. It was too much to assimilate.

Haha, the Roman thought it was the apocalypse, the end of time, it brought a dark age lol

Hardly looks like the savages were being taught by the Romans

2 Likes
2 Likes

@DR_MANHATTAN

Also, just watched like half an hour from one of Le Gendarme series - haven’t watched them since I was a kid (i need to watch them again); French comedy is 10/10!

Lol

1 Like

I’m pretending this Napoleon movie doesn’t exist. The team, the cast, the subject, I feel like they gonna do us dirty. If I thought they’d treat it with the same respect they would a piece of UK or US history, I’d watch it.

That’s the one genre we do well. I’m surprised you watch that.

Edit: Makes me think of Egypt suing Netflix over Cleopatra lol
No way they don’t try to subvert it, they can’t resist

2 Likes

Well, Bucharest was called Le Petite Paris a century ago, there was quite the French influence on Romania, from language (many loan words in the XIXth Century), to metric system, laws, culture, etc., so movies are not an exception, French movies, especially comedies, were (probably still are) loved by Romanians.

1 Like

They don’t even do their own history right lol…
Yeah, who knows how they will portray Napoleon… And not only him.

1 Like

I had a bit of hope, but when they said Joaquin Phoenix, I was like “Fck !”
Some actors play the prop up roles, Leonardo Di Caprio, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Russel Crowe and many others.

Or they take little known actors to create a fresh aura.

I see Joaquin Phoenix as the master of the dirty work, he’s a great actor or “asset” but look at all his previous roles and tropes. It might be a break in his career where he get that glittering spotlight but most likely it’s gonna be a corrupt, insecure mental train wreck and worst.

I don’t even think it’s payback because Napoleon didn’t like the Hollywood type of folks and a certain world order. It’s gonna be just business.

When your movie industry sucks, you watch your history told in a foreign language by the descendant of the enemies of the protagonist lol
But I guess if the Germans don’t complain about their portrayal, I guess we don’t get to either.

2 Likes

I predict Ridley Scott’s film will treat Napoleon with the correct degree of gravitas. If you look at Scott’s work, especially his historical stuff, he tries to give the main character a sympathetic portrayal.

2 Likes

I just checked Ridley Scott, I also checked the Trailer I guarantee you they won’t go too much in the reasons for the war and its objectives. Zero chances or even just Napoleon’s politics.

But I haven’t seen it yet
I’m basing my pre-opinion on previous patterns
:slight_smile:

I can make predictions in private, I won’t go too much about it here. They won’t dare touch certain essential subjects and people, it’s gonna be entertainment, movie length. So they’ll have to simplify and I know how it’s gonna look, same as the others.

1 Like

No. You’re right. He’s going to re-make the first 20 minutes of Gladiator and splice it throughout the film. It will be about Napoleon’s ambitions, the loyalty of his troops, and the great successes and failures. As to the French Revolution and that being some propelling ideology, that’s going to be minimized. The Hollywood view is that Revolution was murderous excess carried out by fanatics, but a Napoleon biopic covering his rise and fall seems long overdue. Maybe the film will show Napoleon’s effect on Paris. Scott loves cityscapes.

2 Likes

Seems like it’s gonna be even more chopped off than I thought then lol

But hey, if they keep it 100% about the military stuff without going into ideologies without too much subtext and revisions, I’m good. But they’ll have to give some context.

1 Like

There will be an emphasis on La Grande Armee, and surely the of toppling monarchs and aristocrats will be acknowledged as having an ideological purpose.

I think Scott will treat the ideals of the Revolution much like he did ‘the idea of Rome’ in Gladiator; the protagonist succumbs but the larger purpose endures.

1 Like

Watch your PMs

1 Like

Time to give/show Germany/Germans/German(ic) Sphere some Love, by putting Germany’s flag in the thread title.

OK…

A few questions for @DR_MANHATTAN and @JAAJ and for Anyone who wants to share:

What are Your Favorite Current Countries and Why?
What are Your Favorite Historical Powers (could be anything, city states if you want or some obscure tribes, whatever, these are your personal choices and likes) and why (you can skip the why or just leave it for future posts, whatever you want, no pressure :grin:)?

What changes will likely occur in this Century (or even further) and which of these changes do you look up to?

What things from the past should have stayed, but have been abandoned, forgotten or replaced?

If you could change history, would you do it and why?
What events in history would you like to have happened differently?

Is this timeline that we are experiencing good to you, I mean, how would you rate/evaluate our present time and how would you rate or evaluate our evolution as a species, especially in the last few thousands years?

Thank You and I hope you don’t mind the tags, nor the questions.

1 Like