Mitochondrial-targeted catalase may not be good for the young

I came accross this study today which might suggest the longetivity field on YouTube titled Mitochondrial‐targeted catalase from the Longetivity Series may not be very suitable for those that are still young.

Below is an easier to understand summary of it (credit to chatGPT)

The article is about a study that looked at how an antioxidant enzyme called catalase affects aging in mice. The catalase was targeted to the mitochondria (a part of cells) to reduce the amount of harmful substances called reactive oxygen species (ROS). The researchers found that in old mice, having more of this antioxidant enzyme improved their proteome (a group of proteins in the body) by making it look more like a young mouse’s proteome. However, in young mice, having more of this enzyme actually made their proteome look more like an old mouse’s proteome. The results show that the effect of ROS on the body changes with age and that it’s important to understand how age affects the effects of treatments for aging, including antioxidants like catalase.

Keep in mind we don’t know much about it yet and the test was done on rats, so the effects on humans are even less understood. That goes for a lot of these experimental things particularly longetivity related ones, so it’s not out of the question that what we initially thought was beneficial might work a little differently.

That is to say I’m not posting to label the field dangerous, but thought It would be a good idea to share this just in case. There are many fields that come with risks and this may be one of them.

What do you guys think? Tbh I wasn’t using this one much as it is except when I run my longetivity stack, but being only 24, I think I will skip it for now until more research is available.

3 Likes

I am 24 too and for me I came to a conclusion that it didn’t do anything, but I was not expecting either because the description stated it is for elderly.I was looking for a better mitochrondria health at the moment to see if anything would cange and plasma charged mitochondria + sirt 3+6 worked for me as I would imagine which it was better metabolism and stamina.

1 Like

I think you may be overthinking it - fields aren’t “physical”, while they bring about physical results, the way they work isn’t very black and white.

1 Like

“ChatGPT is the captain of propaganda” Elon quoted :grin:
I also got ChatGPT’s apologise for their wrong answer :rofl:.

1 Like

Given that the young people are as almost as unhealthy as the old people at this point, I dont know if this studies logic applies (if it applies in humans at all).

Also the amount of ROS/free radicals is heavily dependent on the diet and the amount of seed oils (which causes free radical damage) in the diet has increased exponentially in the last 100 years !

4 Likes