Nidhogg's Shrine

Yggdrasil, the great World Tree, has its roots in the lowest worlds - Niflheim and Helheim. Its most obvious third protruding root is found, huge and dark, at the great well Hvergelmir in Niflheim. Hvergelmir means “Boiling Cauldron”, and all the rivers of the Nine Worlds flow from its churning depths. Next to it lies the third root of the Tree, drawing nourishment form the Well, so huge that it runs off the boundary of Niflheim and into Helheim; the Wall of Helheim incorporates it like it would a small mountain. The dragon Nidhogg, a thirty-foot multicolored wingless earth-dragon, crawls back and forth over that wall to gnaw at the great root on both sides of the border.

When not coiled around the lowest root of the World Tree, Nidhogg crosses the wall into Helheim and visits Dead Man’s Shore. This is a place where the sun never shines, and the dark waters of Helheim’s ocean stretch out between the worlds. Corpses and the shed skins of serpents litter the shore. Nidhogg comes down periodically in her task as carrion-remover and eats the corpses. Many fear her because of her job, but she is an important part of the cycle. Like Hela who is intimately connected with the life-phase of rotting, Nidhogg represents the next part of the cycle, when the rot feeds life. Whether it is carrion-eaters or the earth itself, nothing grows unless something dies and rots to feed it.

Nidhogg cleans up rot. As such, she is there to devour nasty things in one’s self, both physical (like necrosis and certain types of cancer) and emotional (like long-buried festering resentments) and situational (like nasty mold or rotting foundations in a house). Like all the rot-Gods, she is there to take away your garbage, but you have to be willing to give it to her.

She is also a patron of anyone whose job is to clean up the environment, because she represents Nature’s ability to clean up our pollution, which is considerable (although not infinite). Calling Nidhogg into an environmental issue can help clean it up faster … if you pay for it with more cleaning, elsewhere. To propitiate Nidhogg, spend a day without throwing anything away. That includes your bodily wastes - give them all back to the Earth. Burn or reuse any wrappers, or just don’t use them. This is her price - for one day, act like you understand that there is no such place as away.

Nidhogg is also an ordeal-giver, and is one of the great powers of Cold, and can be invoked to survive hypothermic conditions.

15 Likes

Use it with caution, the process of cleansing can be intense in some cases.

5 Likes

Such a marvelous image!

9 Likes

Awesome work! I’m already at the bottom, so forget caution. I’m gonna loop this for 24hrs and over night, it’s do or die!
Is this more powerful than “flush of the gods”?

2 Likes

Is a different method, so no one is more powerful than the other. With Nidhogg can be more raw for sure

1 Like

While I had an intuitive understanding of what “ordeal-giver” probably means, my immediate follow-up question was “Well shit, what kind of ordeals?” Here’s what I found, hopefully it’ll help others.

I found this here (Please feel free to delete if the information is misleading):

For Niflheim, the Ordeal-Giver is usually Nidhogg the great dragon, but it can also be one of the frost-thurses who live in that icy, misty world. For the latter, you must have a good relationship with the frost-thurses; most people who end up with a Niflheim ordeal face the Dragon in one way or another. (For the record, while Niflheim is technically the prison of Fenrir, he does not perform ordeals there. He does not do anything there except be imprisoned; a small part of him can move between the worlds and work with people there, but there is nowhere in the Nine Worlds that he can freely go.) Niflheim ordeals are often about cold, perhaps cold water - one is reminded of the legendary Siberian shaman trick of punching six holes in the ice, jumping into the first one, coming up out of the second one, and weaving in this way down the line. While most modern shamans would not be up to such a feat, a cold ordeal can be a good test of the spirit-worker’s ability to warm themselves. It might be standing naked in the snow for a time, or walking briefly into icy water. As with all such things, a balance must be struck between coddling one’s self to the point of the ritual failing to be an ordeal, and lacking the common sense to avoid lethality.

Niflheim is also associated with rot, as is Nidhogg who is the Eater of Corpses. Rot can be an ordeal, if for example the individual is made to lie next to an unattractive rotting animal corpse and meditate on it, while enduring the smell. While this may seem like a useless exercise in suffering, those who are death-phobic can sometimes benefit from this reminder that all parts of the cycle are sacred, including that little-loved part. They can also get over their phobias about ugliness and decomposition in this way.

5 Likes

I’d say this worked pretty well. Left me feeling pristine. But I wasn’t sure how to use your field. I went with the usual.

Listening 3x is ok? Staring at the mandala on-screen too? The effects are clearly there, but then some other things I could be making up (like Nidhogg communicating through the mandala), so I want to know.

Thank you for gifting us this field :bowing_man:

1 Like

You can loop it whatever you want really… if you listen to it passively, it will bring clearing for sure, but if you connect with her more directly the effects will be more strong.

If you like, this helps a lot

She is there, is a direct connection so enjoy the communication :D

1 Like

I’ll be attending a volunteering event to clean up a beach soon, I’ll ask Nidhogg for its blessing on this task!

3 Likes

That’s awesome! It’s a great way to honor her

2 Likes