The Power of the Logos: Philosophy and Divinity

The Power of the Logos: Philosophy and Divinity.

Attention: this is just my own thought, you have the right to argue your own definition or go against this term, I do not seek to change anyone’s belief system, I only write this as a creative work.

John 1:1: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

The Logos, translated as “The Word” in the modern bible, is the incarnation of the word of God; that divine energy that God used to create everything you see.

We see it here:
Genesis: creation.
"1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form and void, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved over the face of the waters.

3 And God said: Let there be light; and it was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were one day.

6 Then God said: Let there be expansion in the midst of the waters, and separate the waters from the waters. 7 And God made the expanse, and divided the waters that were under the expanse, from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. 8 And God called the expanse Heavens. And the evening and the morning were the second day."

But it does not end there, the Logos is at the same time the same God.
“From the Christian perspective, it is believed that Jesus Christ, as the Logos, reincarnated as a man and interacted on Earth during his earthly life. According to biblical accounts, Jesus performed miracles, taught, healed the sick, and preached the gospel.” and all using the logos.

The Logos is a source of divine, universal, and natural energy.
The Logos created itself, it was the first conscious being, it was the first creator.

Ok, let’s get out of Christianity and into Gnoticism.
In the context of Gnosticism, the term “Logos” may have a different connotation compared to its use in Orthodox Christianity. In Gnosticism, the Logos is often associated with more philosophical and spiritual concepts that derive from the search for knowledge (Gnosis).
To be more specific, the Logos is sometimes considered as higher knowledge or divine gnosis that reveals the true nature of reality and divinity. This higher knowledge is necessary for spiritual salvation and to get rid of the ignorance that keeps souls trapped in the material world.

Emanations - Divine Light: The Logos can also be associated with a divine light or a spiritual spark that resides in every human being. This spiritual spark is considered a part of divinity that is trapped in the material world and seeks to return to its divine source.
Some Gnostic systems teach that the Logos is one of numerous divine emanations that descend from the supreme divinity through a hierarchy of spiritual beings. These emanations act as intermediaries between humanity and the supreme divinity and are often considered to possess special characteristics and attributes.

It is important to remember that Gnosticism is diverse, and teachings and beliefs can vary considerably between different Gnostic streams. Therefore, the way in which the Logos is sought and understood may be different in each tradition.
But I think it will always be synonymous with spiritual freedom.

The logo is neutral. Although the term comes from religion, it is said that the Logos is a neutral Divinity that does not belong to any religion or sect. It occurs equally with the idea of evil and good, it is not at either end of these two.

For you, my dear logical and 0% spiritual friend, let’s get out of the esoteric and into human psychology, I have something for you.
Within a more ‘logical’ context, the word “logos” is used in philosophy and rhetoric to refer to the power of the word and communication in general. In philosophy, the term has been explored in various schools of thought, including ancient Greek philosophy, where its meaning and its relationship to reason and knowledge were debated. In rhetoric, the “logos” refers to the ability to argue and persuade through the effective use of logic and reasoning.

For example, if you take a child and repeat to him that he is bad for a whole year, that child will probably be bad throughout his adolescence, until as an adult he realizes that he was only controlled by the power of a belief, an idea, a word.

So, Logos = the power that the affirmation has to change people’s minds; or mental programming, it is easier to say x)

Can we use or invoke the Logos?

Christian Perspective: Because within Christianity the Logos is literally translated as Jesus Christ and the power that it has, we cannot use it on its own, however, there is a little bit of God within all of us, for that reason we can connect with it. For this reason our soul can interact with the spiritual world and vice versa.

Gnostic Perspective: Yes, the Logos connects our world with the supreme entity, we must search for the Logos ourselves, for this, you must apply various specific spiritual practices, such as meditation, introspection and contemplation. When you know who you are inside, when you see the world for what it really is, you will have found the Logos.

Psychological Perspective: Yes, in fact you already have the Logos with you, the Logos is the ability to think logically and rationally, in this sense, the Logos is related to cognition and information processing. You can use the Logos as a tool to solve problems, help others, and help yourself to find your own identity, your own value, or your meaning in life.

End.

Atte: Leo

1 Like

It’s simpler to accept the simulation hypothesis, at least provisionally, and then just apply information theory. It really cuts down on the number of concepts you have to juggle.

But then… what is the simulation simulating?

1 Like

It could just be turtles all the way down. I regard the hypothesis as a 3D thought experiment that opens up minds up to the spiritual possibilities of information theory. When Materialism took over, there really wasn’t a place for spiritual in the scientific, but information theory allows one to start sketching out (one day) equations for prayers, gods, karma, the astral plane, etc. Does information coalesce in ways similar to matter? Are gods created by specific information processes , in the manner that spiral galaxies arise out of certain uneven distributions of matter?

I think the OP’s suggestion that the logos has power and relevance makes sense under an information theory approach. Otherwise, it’s a concept that materialism ran over and left for dead–I mean, left to the vanishing folk part of culture.

1 Like

It could be turtles all the way down :man_shrugging:

I was mostly just picking at the simulation idea because I don’t like the way it’s been used in the past. A number of prominent thinkers I’ve seen have used that idea to basically say that reality is information, information can be represented with our abstract symbolic systems (like math and language) and therefore we can say that they are equivalent.

That tends to give people a weird mental disposition where they pay more attention to words and concepts and less attention to the contours of direct experience.

I don’t actually have any issues with materialism, but it ought to be nuanced with how it is expressed.

I just think materialism needs information theory to go much further, especially in our applied sciences. It’s obvious that we are going to use information technology to change all sorts of things. I don’t see it so much as a science, though it has that application, any more than I see materialism as a science. Rather like materialism was for hundreds of years, Information theory will be a part of the Spirit of the Age, and like materialism, it will be all be expressed in a way that break’s things–even the contours of direct experience.