Traffic and Data Problems

Digital ocean seems to suffice really. It’s actually the most affordable that i know of. If they are willing to migrate it over for you like they have said then that would be the best option in my opinion.

4 Likes

seems fairly prices

I like your idea but I’m not sure everyone will gladly help out. I’d like to think so but I could see people bailing over a dollar. If 20% of people bail over a dollar price hike, Sapien breaks even. More than 20% would be a loss.

Adding another tier for 7.50 (3 dollar raise) could work if SapienMed could come up with something to offer that’s not already being offered. And if everyone understood that they were still getting their 4.50 worth. So no one got pissed and left over that.

Then a little less than 1/3rd of current members would be needed to join the higher tier.

11 Likes

We have abt 1768 patrons. Just raising 50 cents gives 884 dollars but considering patrons from other countries 50 cents might be a lot. So 25 cents raise gives 442 dollars. And the increase will not be much.

We can also have a voting here to ask the forum how much they are willing to give.

Another is to have those who are willing to manually raise the pledge in patreon. You do know we can do that right. If maybe 20 of us pay about 10 dollars a month, the problem will be solved immediately
Edit: its just a 5 dollar increase from what we already pay. And here in the west 10 bucks is nothing

6 Likes

Are you sure it’s a VPS server? Because if its a shared web hosting I don’t think it would have enough resources for Discourse, moreover its already running on WordPress so that doesn’t help.

Otherwise what you could do is keep the main domain (enlightenedstates.com) running on your current web host and use the forum.enlightenedstates.com subdomain for the VPS (By going to the DNS control panel of your domain registrar and creating an A record pointing to your VPS public IP address - Instructions), or you could move everything to the VPS instead, but you would need to test if your VPS can handle all that.

Exactly. Moving to a Cloud hosting/VPS seems like the best option at the moment.
Digital Ocean has nice prices, good up-time and it seems to be widely used within the Discourse community.

The thing about these VPS hosts is that they’re basic linux servers and there’s no cPannel like in your average web hosting provider, so usually you need to install everything on your own.
Luckily though, Discourse runs in Docker making the whole process easier as you don’t have to actually install any dependencies yourself (Web Server, PHP, MySQL, etc).

So you would start by following these steps: Initial Server Setup with Ubuntu 20.04
Then: How To Install Discourse on Ubuntu 20.04
And finally: Move your Discourse Instance to a Different Server

12 Likes

how lol the ovh offer elite server at starting 31$ a month

most expensive configuration 8vcore + 32go memory and 640ssd if you host in sydney or singapoure you get 4TB bandwidth
free ubnutu which can host discourse

at 113$ per month

i find it much cheaper than bluehost which said to be the cheaper hoster for vps

1 Like

lol thought about this yesterday i was going to make a topic asking people to disable their ad-block, since the ads in sapienmedicine forum are not harsh and they do not popup. you guys reads my mind or iam the one who project thoughts lol

4 Likes