Word of Today - Word of The Day

You mean…

Donau­dampfschifffahrts­elektrizitäten­hauptbetriebswerk­bauunterbeamten­gesellschaft

Or

Rinderkennzeichnungsfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungs-gesetz

Or

Straßenentwässerungsinvestitionskostenschuldendienstumlage

7 Likes

Yeah… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::exploding_head:

They exceeded my expectations. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Imagine writing these words in Traditional Chinese :grin:

Or Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs…

2 Likes

Or something like this… :smiley:

2 Likes

I could never learn that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With Permanent Brain Enhancement field for sure you can :wink: :v:

2 Likes

I think the brainy choice is to stick with English. :sweat_smile:
The path of least resistance/effort…
Although, it depends, some people like challenges.

(I also want to learn a few more languages, like Spanish, German and French, yet that is a life long project; still, brain fields should significantly reduce the effort)

1 Like

This part of the word sounds very Englishy

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Yep.
English and German are like cousins or something.

1 Like
Summary

GERMAN LEARN SUPER FAST Language Series / Energetically Programmed Audio - YouTube

@SoulStar33

1 Like

Wow. Thank you. :pray:

1 Like

GLOM
Thanks, @Jen
Gonna improve my English, word by word. :grin:

Edit: I forgot about this thread, but I create threads almost every day (or every day, idk), so yeah, I can easily forget…

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you! :pray:

1 Like

We’re gloming on to new words :laughing:

2 Likes

Many such words in English.

I mean, few letters and there are a ton of these.

Yeah. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

English has lots of funny words and conventions…

The base language is from a Germanic chain (Old English to Middle English to Early Modern English (i.e. Shakespeare) to Modern English.

There were lots of funny shifts in grammar over that history.

And then different blendings of things throughout the ages. Even back in the time of Old English, there was some blending of Latin because of the Christianization of Europe. In the late period of Old English, a lot of French was added when the Normans broke into England (and then Middle English emerged)

Greek also made it’s way into the language (alongside Latin) during the High Middle ages and Renaissance, since that was when the scholars in the west gained access to Greek original writings (instead of Latin translations).

But, Latin had continuous influence from the university environment, and outside of the technical side of things there was a lot of variation with the different celtic languages that had always been blended-in in the rural settings (for the entire history of the language).

And, citing the original Merriam Webster dictionary—a lot of Hebrew words made it into the language as well, due to the religious influence on the culture.

All of those things were happening before the Industrial Revolution lol. The increased use of printed media and mass communications in the most recent few centuries has caused even more massive changes lol

1 Like

Yeah, but especially nowadays we are making new words on the go, like that’s Gucci! :sweat_smile:

The internet was/still is the New Industrial Revolution of our own Time(s).

1 Like

Gucci is expensive lol

1 Like

It is lol.

1 Like