Word of Today - Word of The Day

Here we can post one word (or more words) which we find fascinating/exciting, new or which raised our attention or curiosity, anyway let’s post the word of the day/the word of today. :grinning:

And, one word which I find interesting, Today, is Nocebo, the opposite of Placebo; bad thoughts, feelings, expectations, imagination and beliefs can be quite detrimental to one’s Health/Life, while good thoughts, beliefs, expectations and imagination can be quite productive, useful, so Nocebo is harmful, Placebo is good; I always found Placebo and Nocebo to be underestimated/undervalued.

8 Likes

November

1 Like

5 Likes

Let me see if I can spell it by memory…

Floccinaucinnihilipilification

3 Likes

Floccinaucinihilipilification

… But I think

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
-and-
Antidisestablishmentarianism

…still have it beat… as may a few others with medical-related particles

2 Likes

Ooo the actual spelling is: floccinaucinihilipilification

I was close lol

Definition : the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).

3 Likes

Wow! I had no idea such words exist(ed), anyway, I most probably don’t know the vast majority of words, especially academic, scientific or slang, among other categories.

2 Likes

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia is a bit of a troll word

2 Likes

I can’t spell that. :grin:

Edit: And I thought German has these hard and almost impossible to pronounce words (some words), yet I see English is a good contestant. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

They say English is one of the hardest languages to learn… But to me, it’s the easiest! :brain:

2 Likes

Well, it’s not Mandarin Chinese (or any Chinese), but I heard it is quite hard for Asians (?) (probably for many others throughout the world), I would assume that someone’s first (and second) language and their background can make the difference in how hard English or any language is, also in my own experience English SEEMS to be easy, it is, in the beginning/at beginner levels…

First or perhaps second or foreign language (if you don’t mind the question or answering it :grin::pray:)?

I only truly know (well, idk about the Truly part :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) 2 languages too, Romanian and English (I learned it as a foreign language, started learning it in school; well, my first interaction was Cartoon Network, maan I loved it, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, DragonBall, Scooby Doo, etc. - I loved the language even before learning it in school, it seemed like the coolest language :sweat_smile:, with the cartoons and all), although I actually reached a medium level in Spanish like 10 years ago (I forgot many words since then, but I’ll probably learn it in the future, alongside German and French, maan, I would love to be able to undertand and speak these languages someday…).

1 Like

Haha i was just kiddin, this Norm macdonald moment came in my head and i couldn’t resist!

Ah it’s my second language, my first language is Spanish… But i speak English better lol (i only speak those 2 languages)

I learned English really when I first got to kindergarten, i was in a ESOL program till 3rd grade (7/8 years old) which is a program to teach English to non English speaking kids. i was the only one of my siblings to be born here in USA lol

Oh wow haha when i read that i was like damn, to me it sounds so normal haha now that i think about it, it reminds me of this video:

Man that’s so cool man do it! Whole worlds of cultures out there you can better appreciate knowing the language

1 Like

Superhuman combative abilities

I like how this sounds for some reason

1 Like

haven’t seen that one for awhile lol

2 Likes

Word of the day:

Discombobulated

A funny word I heard someone mention in a talk a few times, meaning to be confused or disoriented.

3 Likes

Bamboozlement can cause people to become discombobulated …

6 Likes

That is indubitably correct …

3 Likes

Lol there was a sesquipedalian on the forums once, idk what happened to him… Miss that guy, he would blow my mind with the way he approached communication with every post

3 Likes

Is that guy who posted cool tags ideas?
Oh what a twist.
Now we have nfts of these ideas :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah that’s him! Guy was awesome lol i would always have a smile reading his posts learning all sorts of words

One birthday (or maybe it was Christmas, i don’t think it was though) i asked my mom to buy me a dictionary so i can read it, unfortunately i never did read it though :laughing:, it was a really big dictionary that costed like 50 bucks lol. i was inspired by Eminem as he said he read a dictionary too

2 Likes