Concerns about cults

I’m going to be talking about a subject that’s likely to trigger folks.

Cults.

I’ve been raised thinking that cults are bad, evil, and are anything that isn’t one of the main religions. I’ve seen plenty of examples of them, like the Branch Davidians, or the one that had the members drink poisoned Kool-Aid to hitch a ride on an asteroid, or even Trumpism.

The problem is, what’s the real definition of a cult? I mean, with enough popularity, even this group could get called a cult, and that worries me.

4 Likes

Don’t be worried. Anyone can call stuff anything they want. Who cares? :slight_smile: The word cult is a label that can be made to fit almost any kind of group with a perceived leader or person at the top. Charismatic leader, dogma that cannot be challenged or questioned, forced participation, closing off of member from family, etc., etc.

“I’ve been raised thinking” probably means you didn’t create the thought all by yourself. Someone with authority over you told you what to believe. Are families a cult? :rofl:

I’m not saying that some groups aren’t dangerous. But to allow concern stemming from beliefs someone else implanted in you cause you to entertain the possibility that our beloved sapien forum could be a cult, is pointless.

Is this group a “religion”? Nope. Is it a voluntary group of like-minded people? Yep. Are we coerced into being and staying here? Nope. Are we forced to buy and support the organization? Nope. Do we have freewill over our decisions about how we participate here? Yep. Does Captain make us do anything or believe anything (except in the reality and efficacy of morphic fields as created by him) = Nope!

Please allay your concern. All is well here. :slight_smile:

p.s. If you wonder by what authority I speak - I spent a really good, long time in a group that has been called a cult. But was that my experience? No. Was I held against my will? No. Was it one of the best things that ever happened to me? Yes. Did I have lots of fun and learn things that still steer my path? Yes.

It’s just a label. One that can be made to fit almost any kind of group. :slight_smile:

21 Likes

A cult is about control. It comes in degrees. Some groups are so cultish they can clearly be called a cult. Other times groups are just varying degrees of cultish. It can be a business, church, friend group, family or any kind of group.

It’s about 1 person’s opinions and desires taking precedence over those of everyone else in the group. Usually a proxy belief is used so this person claims they are only trying to enforce the beliefs and practices of some higher moral being or code.

Often the number of people controlling the group varies as well. There may be two or three in the top of the dominance hierarchy but there is usually 1 at the very top. Some groups may state this very openly and use titles. Others only reveal their positions of power by their behavior towards others and by the demands they make on others.

Another telling sign of who is in charge is who is giving the accusations while not receiving any. That position of being “right” always is a giveaway.

8 Likes

My apologies. I have been in a coven that very quickly turned into a cult. I’ve been told not to tell this, but screw that.

The members kept trying to get me to believe that we’ve been together through several reincarnations, amongst other things. They kept asking if I believed and trusted them. I made sure to not answer.

The High Preist had an affair with one of the members, and the High Priestess tried to go against the rules by trying to get him out by secret ballot. Anyone who talked to him or the girl were ostracized. I warned him quietly, became affair aside, the High Priestess was violating the coven’s rules. They quickly suspected me of telling, and were using subterfuge to try to get me to confess.

My gut instincts told me to not trust them and to get out, and I did, quickly.

9 Likes

It’s someone saying they care about the whole group but putting not just their own interests first but really having only their interests as a goal. It’s not just self before service it’s self only and use some guise of service. Appear loving because that serves them but don’t be loving because that would not always get them what they want.

3 Likes

I understand - you had a bad experience. That was up close and personal and this is anything but. You can choose your level of participation, and you will find people here that will support you and befriend you - with no ulterior motive. I would like you to be able to have fun here. And no need to apologize. :slight_smile:
hummginbird

10 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

I’m sorry if I upset or triggered anyone on the subject. Honestly, I was more concerned for you guys than anything, because of how easy it can be to label a group as a cult.

3 Likes

hmmmm…we are adults here, most of us, I am sure we will be ok. It is just curious that as a new member, you suddenly became concerned for us that we are in a cult.

Is that concern, condescension, probably a bit of both?

And lol, people are people, some probably call us names whether we do something or not. So, we cannot be snowflakes and get concerned at everything, right? We got to live our lives to our best without worrying about how people may perceive us or not. A lot of times, its our own perception that is the problem. So I guess we should not worry too much about that… :slight_smile:

14 Likes

What?

It’s likely the wrong wording due to Autism, and I’m sorry if it is (I know I have a problem with being misunderstood often, especially online), but I wasn’t trying to say that you guys are a cult, I was saying that I was worried about what would happen to this lovely group if those that are lower vibration were to declare you guys as one. That’s all.

6 Likes

beware of those who try to isolate you.

7 Likes

I’ll definitely watch out for that. Thank you.

4 Likes

Also about people claiming “we are related across lifetimes” - a lot of Gurus/cults use this argument especially for sexual manipulation.

And explaining away clear transgressions as “spirituality”. For example, when Sai Baba was caught sexually abusing folks, he explained it away as “Kundalini related sexual tantra” or some BS like that…

18 Likes

:laughing:

They are!

6 Likes

May these such gentleman get what they deserve… ॐ

I know they always are ;)

6 Likes

Mr. Biceps got my post :nerd_face:

6 Likes

And Mr. Maoshan got mine! 🫡

6 Likes

Yep, anyways i also say i am pretty sure people think its a cult also, but for the life of me i can never understand why.

Certainly cant me be leading.
Nor even making claims.

In fact i am barely accessable, fields, audios, art all kinds of things are released, with no announcement.

So nobody even has to buy or even know whats new.
In fact I can say for sure Sammy doesnt even know half of whats released.

So again… no motive no grander plan.

Lastly nobody even knows me or finds any need too.

31 Likes

I will quote Rosechalice - as I can’t find anything better to say lol (she said it best).

1 Like

No, Dream has never made any demands upon my personal life or beliefs nor put efforts into maneuvering anyone by means of condescension or condemnation into a position in an unspoken hierarchy that serves him.

Definitely not anywhere on the spectrum from overt to covert cultish in my book.

3 Likes