Favorite mantras

Time is precious. I would rather stick with time-tested mantras which have a long history of practice to have a better chance of success than risk wasting time with a potentially made up mantra, no? At least that is how I feel currently. Unlike that Dhyaanguru guy who I know personally, I am not familiar with this person, so cannot really comment on his capability as a seer which enables one to divine/channel mantras.

7 Likes

I’m a South Indian Telugu Hindu and I don’t :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sex is beautiful, sacred, fun and life-affirming. What is there to get offended? :slight_smile:

Duti Yaga, Bhairavi Chakra, Karmamudra - are all sacred alchemical techniques used since ancient times. Repression is the problem, expression is the solution. :smiley:

18 Likes

:ok_hand:t4:

5 Likes

You missed the point completely.

You are absolutely right. Sex is beautiful. Source of creation. Ultimate unification. For some spiritual.

And Hinduism projects a very liberal outlook on life…what the west fought for as LGBT righs has references in Hinduism too. It’s a beautiful non confining way of life.

What I commented upon is - the association of LORD GANESH with sexual connotations is NOT mainline Hindu tradition.
We have other Gods representing that…:grinning::grinning:
We are pretty organised that way.:grinning::grinning::grinning:

If it does exist, it could be part of breakaway, tantric sects.

And yes, the Linga of shiv that is worshipped is a beautiful concept of the a-sthir part of reality…the formless…the constancy of creation by extension…the element of brahm… not to be confused with Brahmaa…
It’s all too beautiful…

And u are right too…most Hindus don’t worry too much about what and how…they just embrace what exists. That’s why HINDUISM is such a popular way of life. We are truly liberal, the perspective of the one looking at it from within or outside matters.

You still don’t get my point.

I am asking you - what is mainline Hindu tradition? Is there one tradition? And is there something that is “mainline”? What is this “mainline” Hinduism based on? Vedas? If so, there is no concept of worship or temples in the Veda - then where was this so-called mainline Hinduism derived from?

If so, who defined it? Scriptural authority? Or regional practices? If regional, how is one region’s practices “mainline”? I pointed out that many many South Indian temples depict Ganesha as Vallabhopeta - with VallabhA aka Siddhi Lakshmi. Are South Indian traditions not “mainline”? One of India’s oldest temples, Kailasanatha in Kanchi, depicts Shodasha Ganpati, sixteen forms of Ganesha, half of who are depicted with consorts. The Shilpa-shastra says - yugalau mithunashilpau - the depiction of a pair - whether in explicit sexual union or not - is a depiction of conjugal harmony between the pair.

The very fact that a certain deity has sexual connotations is causing so much argument here, then how are we laying claim to liberalism?

There is a difference between inquiry, critical thinking, and blind embrace. I am just questioning the latter because it does not reflect the spirit of logic such as Mimamsa or Nyaya, the real spiritual heritage of India which most seem to have abandoned for myths, tales, and Arya-samaj influenced ridicule of ritual and metaphysics.

By the way, I understand the difference between Brahma (it is not brahm) and BrahmA - I have a masters in Sanskrit literature with a focus on Kashmir Shaivism from Varanasi Hindu University :slight_smile:

Study, learn, explore - don’t go by what you see around you as “mainstream” - “heterodoxy” etc., as these are extremely subjective observations. While reform movements did get rid of evils such as Sati, untouchability, dowry, etc., they also caused damage by imposing a certain colonial mindset introducing the concept of shame, guilt, etc. especially regarding rituals, tantra, sexuality, etc., which unfortunately seems deeply engraved in India today even as she tries to emerge out of the colonial influence.

Not always a virtue. No wonder critical thinking and a deep understanding are so severely lacking. This is probably a passable attitude for hippies, not for a serious student of any tradition, especially if one expects to gain any serious merit from it. As Vamakshepa, a famed teacher from Assam once said: “Ignorant people who pass by these erotic sculptures clutch their pearls in horror and criticize, sneaking glances at the same time; the curios try to appreciate their sculptural beauty; the devoted explain it away through their closely held myths; the philosopher explains it using concepts and principles to the point of boredom. A Tantravetta (knower of Tantra), however, not just sees but experiences in them the expression of his own Shiva and Shakti (yin and yang) dancing in union, and not a separate concept, entity or an object”.

17 Likes

What a lovely discussion. I find that I resonate with the idea of the sacred in (what others would regard as) the profane. Pardon my scripture, but as I remember it, it goes: “I wanna f**k you like an animal, I wanna feel you from the inside. You get me closer to God.” :pray::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

The university that you did your masters from is called the BANARAS HINDU UNIVERSITY… popularly known as BHU…
It is not Varanasi Hindu University.

One of the most romantic campuses that one sees…with long winding canopied roads…with the energy pure…allowing life to simply…flow…

1 Like

Always. :blush:

Indeed it’s highly spiritual and sacred as it takes you to the crest of creation…
And creation is the expression of the absolute …the unity…There is nothing more sacred than creation. It is highly philosophical…at one end…n therefore scholars can debate it as per their perspective.

There are egyptian mantras too if someones interested

ps. I dont know anything about mantras but just wanted to add this

3 Likes

It is so beautiful.
Thank you very much

I find this channel interesting, came across first time but felt absolute authentic.

3 Likes

My favourites… Hope u enjoy the chanting rhythm and melodious voice 🪘🪘

1 Like

Not a mantra in essence but a very lively and soulful expression of music after a few listens of the Dreamtime :)

4 Likes

Hey @Maoshan_Wanderer how did you make the request to your Skull in order for it to recite the mantra on your behalf?

I’ll like to try some mantras and with this thread there’s bound to he something that resonates with me.

1 Like

That’s hardly even Shravakayana level to simply watch the breath. This guy was the head monk of a monastery? Lol

My Fae, ESS, and Dragon all do this. I simply told them to watch me recite the mantra (for like 10 mins) and to learn it and then told them upon certain cue word to automate the mantra 108x. They learned immediately.

11 Likes

Prayers to ancestors

2 Likes

I knew about mantras for quite a while but at the time I thought mantras were like a slogan or affirmation like “I’m a strong confident woman” :joy:
I think I was scientifically introduced to mantras when I read the book “Stress Less Accomplish More”. It sounds like a self-help book but it actually talks about meditation :joy:
In this book, Emily Fletcher, the author defines mantras as “mind vehicle” (in Sanskrit, man = ‘mind’ and tra = ‘vehicle’, “a mantra is used as an anchor to de-excite the nervous system, access more subtle states of consciousness, and induce deep, healing rest”)
Since it’s just a book and she has several other advanced courses where she teaches advanced techniques, she uses the word one as an example for mantra throughout the book (and one is a powerful word, it could mean unity, becoming number one in your field or the one thing you are prioritizing).
And I started using “one” in my meditation practice as a mantra. And it did what Emily states, it helps a lot.
But I’m curious what a proper mantra would do. I searched on the Internet and on the forum and came across this thread. It’s a whole new world to me, but since there are a lot of mantras to choose from and I’m a bit paranoid about pronunciation and things, I want something simple yet powerful. So I decided to go with “OM”. And I think there must be a reason why _OM choose OM as his nickname :rofl: It reinforced my decision.
And oh my, the first time I used it in my meditation, my whole body was vibrating every time I repeated the word inside my head, and the vibration started from the “core” of my being and spread out :scream: I was so in awe. This addictive effect makes meditation my favorite time of the day. And this still happens every time I meditate.
But I’ve noticed this meditation practice seems to enhance the effect of the Star Excercise. OM is the sound that sustains the Universe, and the Star Exercise is for you to feel the Universal Life energy and utilize it, I think they work synergistically. My body vibrates way more strongly, I can feel the energy easier since I do the om meditation.
Hope @_OM can give a confirmation on this.
And I hope everyone who’s new to mantra can consider to use OM as a simple start :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

4 Likes