Meditation and Chanting - MAHA SHIVARATRI 11th March 2021

By A.R Rehman

4 Likes

That may help. This hymn does capture some energy from the state of non-duality in which it was composed. However, for most, such a state requires hard, dedicated spiritual practice.

6 Likes

This might be off topic, but today I was reflecting on this subject as yesterday there was a very unfortunate event here where I live : it was a teenager who went to catch a ball that went into the river and got himself drawn by the water.
It got me feeling very sorry for him tbh and thinking of the circumstances.

What can cause an untimely death…? I know that are many forces at play and that there is no one simple explanation. Perhaps a soul choice? But how it can be untimely?

6 Likes

I am placing all my collection one by one, bear with me :slightly_smiling_face: it’s exciting time …

Shri Rudram

6 Likes

Awesome. That’s all I need to level up. Shivoham it is then.

2 Likes

It is indeed difficult to classify death into Kala-mrityu (timely death) and Akala-mrityu (untimely death), other than perhaps for awakened folks.

The nature of the physical body is death and decay - so most have to die. Death as such here would be “timely death”. Now, what is “timely” for a given individual? Hard to say. Some folks attribute it to karma, some others to a pre-determined span of life (ayus), etc. But do I know for sure, not really haha… I do however know that there are many alchemists and yogis who can bend this law of “timely death” and extend lifespan. My Daoist teacher is “very” old and hides in Kunlun mountains (he has great great grandchildren lol). Another one has “changed” bodies (I’ve seen it once) and extended life span. So there’s that stuff too lol

As for untimely death, it is death before one’s soul purpose is accomplished, so I would think in such cases the choice is not really the soul’s. Suicide is one such thing (although there are complexities here based on different cases). This can be avoided by Divine Grace (I wrote about my experience here).

So, what is timely vs untimely, what causes either of them, is one’s lifespan pre-determined? I can only speculate as I have no clue :slight_smile:

Mrityunjaya can help with both - mitigate the untimely death, and in the case of timely, mitigate the fear of death (aka limited existence where the self identifies itself as limited to the Body-Mind complex).

The mantra literally says - lead me from Death to Immortality (can be physical immortality, or of the dawning of immortal consciousness that already IS, but not recognized due to all the dirt that covers the mirror of consciousness).

12 Likes

My favourite Natarajarar stotram, it’s a special interesting sanskrit stotram composition. Thanks :blush:

7 Likes

Btw @Maoshan_Wanderer, that Shivoham hymn you sent was sung by Bhanumathi Narasimhan who is the sister of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar if you know who that is.

4 Likes

I know him personally, as well as some of his family, but not his sister though :slight_smile: That said, I don’t practice Art of Living techniques, nor have learned any of them.

7 Likes

Woah! My dad has met him on many occasions (he used to be a part time Art of Living teacher). Art of Living kinda played a significant role in my childhood ngl with all the yoga sessions that I was forced to attend lol

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Thanks for your explanation friend.

2 Likes

Is this information available to us on the forum or does it come under super secret occult stuff that requires decades of learning and practice?

2 Likes

If you ask me is there a user guide on how to accomplish that, I don’t think there is :slight_smile:

A lot of Daoist traditions teach life extension techniques to their "indoor’ disciples. The famous Babaji of Kriya Yoga lineage is one popular figure (so the advanced stage of Kriya Yoga can transmute one into a light body). Traditionally, physical immortality was not taught to everyone - it was often to prolong life till one attained a spiritual goal, or it was a side effect of advanced Enlightenment that encompassed not just spiritual reality but also the material part (like the Daoist Golden Dragon Body or Rainbow Body).

And then we have our own Dream! We have the Eternity tag, Plasma Protocol, Ojas and The Crucible, and he is just starting :slight_smile: Lot more to come…

14 Likes

Yup that was what I was thinking about. There are some people I know who appear to be very close to attaining spiritual enlightenment and it would be a shame to see them die before they achieve that.

Any other ways to avoid untimely death if you’re someone who’s not in touch with a goddess like Kali? Or would simply chanting a Kali mantra help with this?

2 Likes

Very exciting indeed!

5 Likes

Yes, Divine Grace can certainly help - in whichever form, call it Kali, Shiva, Christ, Angelic, etc. Mantra is one of the many ways to connect to the Divine, an effective way, not the only way.

While we can recite mantras, do spiritual practice, etc. Grace is not guaranteed. Abhinavagupta, a great Tantric master says - the nature of Grace is mysterious. If the whole thing was - I chant x amount of mantras and I get grace, there is no difference between the Divine and a shopkeeper, as this is not merely transactional.

That said, the Universe has been empirically known to reward sincerity and hard work, so the probability of Grace is certainly higher for those that actively seek it - through prayer, meditation, service, mantras, etc.

I had two students, one who recited a certain mantra of Krishna for decades and never felt any grace. Another one, a simple all-American housewife who was not even spiritual, but wanted a mantra as her arthritis was unbearable. A month later, she was smelling fragrances, hearing flute music, and her arthritis was gone! The other guy with decades of practice was flabbergasted. Why did this lady attain grace so damn fast - was it effort from previous lifetimes, was it the quality of her efforts, or intensity of her practice, hard to say! Grace indeed is mysterious :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Can you chant mantras while asking these deities to help other people? Say I wanted Hanuman or Krishna to help with my mother’s bursitis and inflammatory pain for example.

It’s the same with audios isn’t it? Some people receive instant results. Others have to persist for a little longer to get those same results. I suppose it’s all to do with blockages.

4 Likes

Absolutely! I do this every single day. Not that different from sending healing intentions.

5 Likes

well… consider this, to qualify for Shivoham the base must be strong to support it and maintain it, which can be built with om namah shivaya or even the gayatri mantra.

18 Likes