NFT: The Seven Gods of Happiness and Good Luck ✨

Copies Available: 77

Japan. A country of high technology, order, discipline and ancient beliefs and traditions. Images of the 7 gods of happiness are found literally at every step in Japan, many centuries each of the Seven is worshipped by a huge number of people. It is one of the most common lucky charms.

“The Lucky Gods” travel together on the ship of fortune, the Takarabune. The ship is laden with treasure, and on its sail you can often see the Chinese character “baku”, denoting the mythical animal that takes away nightmares. They are ready to endow any encounter with happiness and help even with the most mundane and everyday requests. It is not easy to meet them, as there are many who wish to find happiness.

Takarabune is a treasure ship loaded with gold and rice, wisdom and longevity, health, and good luck.

Until the Japanese merged them into one group, each of the seven deities led an independent existence. It is not known when the idea of this unification came about. It is believed that it happened in the Muromachi period (1392-1568) under the influence of extremely popular in China stories about the seven wise men of the bamboo grove. Another version is that the group originated in the famous Buddhist sutra “'Shichinan Sokumetsu Shichifuku Sokushō 七難即滅 七福即生” which can be translated as “seven troubles will disappear, and seven fortunes will arise.”

In the 17th century, the worship of the community of seven gods developed. The Japanese military ruler Tokugawa Ieyasu, after destroying all his enemies, coming to the coveted power, getting everything a mere mortal could dream of, apparently did not feel like a happy man. He commissioned his spiritual director, the monk Tenkai, to “catch happiness by the tail,” namely, to define the feeling. Tenkai formulated seven kinds of happiness: according to the Japanese Buddhist Statuare, these are justice, material well-being, benevolence, generosity, fame, long life, and dignity. Each of the seven gods was assigned the role of symbolizing these benefits.

The Japanese, like much of the rest of the world, regard the number seven as magical.

Specifics:

Ebisu 恵比須

Origin = Japan.

Shinto Name: Kotoshiro-nushi-no-kami

God of the Ocean, Fishing Folk, Good Forture, Honest Labor, Commerce. Virtue = Candor, Fair Dealing

Holds a fish (TAI, sea bream or red snapper), which symbolizes luck and congratulation (Japanese word for happy occasion is omede-TAI); fishing rod in right hand; folding fan in other; grants success to people in their chosen occupations; son of Daikoku. Popular among fishing folk, sailors, and people in the food industry.

Daikokuten 大黒天

Origin = India.

Skt. = Mahakala

Intro to Japan 9th C. AD

God of Earth, Agrculture, Farmers, Wealth, Prosperity, Flood Control, The Kitchen. Virtue = Fortune

God of five cereals; rice bales; treasure sack (bag); magic mallet in right hand; sometimes wears hood; rat (found around food); often shown with Ebisu, who is said to be his son; merged with Shinto deity of good harvests, Okuninushi no Mikoto. Also a member of the TENBU. Popular among farmers, agricultural businesses, & traders.

Benzaiten 弁財天

Origin = India.

Skt. = Sarasvati

Goddess of Music, Beauty, Eloquence, Literature, Art. Virtue = Amiability

Japanese mandolin, lute, magic jewel, snake, sea dragon. Only female among the seven. Member of the TENBU grouping. Popular among artists, musicians, and writers.

Hotei 布袋

Origin = China.

Chn. = Putai, Budai

Chinese Sage.

Budaishi (Jp. = Fuudaishiten)

God of Contentment and Happiness. Virtue = Magnanimity

Bag of food and treasure that never empties; oogi (fan), small children at his feet; supposedly only member of seven based on actual person (although Jurōjin / Fukurokuju might also be based on real person); known as the Laughing Buddha; rubbing his stomach is said to bring good luck; incarnation of Bodhisattva Maitreya (Jp. = Miroku). Popular among bartenders and all classes of people. Best known of the seven outside Japan.

Fukurokuju 福禄寿

Origin = China.

Taoist Hermit Sage

God of Wealth, Happiness, Longevity, Verility, and Fertility. Virtue = Popularity

Huge elongated head; long white beard, cane with sutra scroll, crane, deer, stag, tortoise (symbols of longevity); scroll said to contain all the wisdom in the world; said to inhabit same body as Jurōjin (the pair are two different manifestations of the same deity); wields power to revive the dead. Popular among watchmakers, athletes, others.

Jurōjin 寿老人

Origin = China. Identified with Laozi (Jp. = Rōjinseishi), the founder of Chinese Toaism

God of Wisdom & Longevity. Virtue = Longevity.

Also spelled Jurojin.

Long white beard, knobbly staff with scoll of life attached; tortoise, deer, stag, crane; in same body as Fukurokuju (the pair represent two different manifestations of the same deity); scroll said to hold the secret to longevity; sometimes carries a drinking vessel, as he reportedly loves rice wine (sake). Popular among teachers, professors, and scientists.

Bishamonten 毘沙門天

Origin = India.

Skt. Vaisravana.

God of Treasure, Bringer of Wealth, Defender of the Nation, Scourge of Evil Doers, Healer of Ilness. Virtue = Dignity

Wears armor, carries spear and treasure pagoda; centipede is messenger; Vaisravana in Sanskrit; also known as Tamonten (the commander of the Shitenno or Four Heavenly Kings), and a member of the TENBU Popular among soldiers, doctors, and certain Buddhist monestaries; the only member of the Shitenno worshipped independently.

Another beautiful creation gifted to us by @Captain_Nemo and @Ugninis

60 Likes

71 Copies left.

Original image:

30 Likes

:grin: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

30 Likes

Wow looks really awesome :smiley: !
May I ask how many copies?

13 Likes

77 to begin with, and according to Zen 71 left!

13 Likes

Okay great, thank you @Premintarsia :slight_smile: !

10 Likes

Awesome :pray:

I was thinking about floating the idea of a Japan deity/spiritualrelated field a month or so ago. I was leaning a bit towards Amatersau, but this is neat too :+1:

12 Likes

I just bought it (number 36 out of 77), thank you @Ugninis and @Captain_Nemo :smiley: !

13 Likes

you’re lucky :grin:

12 Likes

And from now on I will be at least 7 times more lucky! :grin:

18 Likes

Thank you, totally calling out to me. Got it in a jiff before it runs out :joy:

And thanks to the nft group and captain for making it graciously available to all of us who are interested.

23 Likes
18 Likes

I hope to get this so he can help me with my chess game

4 Likes

Bought it earlier, but only realised that I have been feeling happy and blessed throughout the day :sparkles:

12 Likes

Today in my birthday, a timely gift for myself. Proud owner of the 44th copy. Thank you Captain !!

13 Likes

Happy birthday, enjoy your day @AdiYogi :partying_face:

8 Likes

Hey, AdiYogi! Gratz on your purchase!

5 Likes

Is this sold out already?I am not able to purchase

1 Like

AdiYogi bought just a few minutes ago, so I guess it’s still in stock. Oops maybe I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Still showing the Add to Cart option which means few are left, mine was 44th copy out of 77.

1 Like