Nihilism Thread

Are there any other nihilists like me?

I’m talking about true nihilism not some existential drama.

What is true nihilism?

1 Like

A true nihilist is someone who gets nothingness. It requires high level of existential intelligence.

People who don’t get it tends to put an adjective before nihilism like “existential” or “optimistic” or “moral” etc.

1 Like

then you’re enlightened? I think being a nihilist is sort of being enlightened in a way, or at least you’re sort of on the path for one of the many consciousness levels there is

i think @SammyG said something similar like this, i don’t remember

1 Like

Nihilism is meaningless, it’s all meaningless

4 Likes

and is that a bad thing for nihilistic people?

:man_shrugging:

We’re a bunch of cosmic baboons

I believe in ignorance. I believe that I don’t know, you don’t you and he doesn’t know. That’s fine.

Keep learning… then keep learning… nah we’re like rats in a maze, just keep going, you won’t live long enough to figure it out, so just try your best

That you keep learning and growing is more important than what you believe.

Especially on a low level where you partly create your reality like a dog chasing his tail. You keep changing your reality has you try to understand it.

7 Likes

Definitely agree on this, there is so much joy in learning, loving learning is loving life. lol.

1 Like

if its a meaningless that sends them into depression then :grimacing:. That’s adding meaning already, it’s self-contradicting.

But then if its actually ALL Meaningless how is a “true” nihilistic person alive? nihilism just doesn’t go far enough, a true nihilism has to have deconstructed philosophy, science, the ego, survival, etc. Survival alone adds meaning to things, which then can be judged whether its useful or not to survive, not physically, but survive your self-concept.

That’s just what I know so far

4 Likes

Again, I believe that I don’t know and you don’t know.

I’m not alone in ignorance, makes me feel better lol

When truth gets out to enough people, I’ll know it too.

So instead of daydreaming about the finish line, watch out for the next corner. The game is still going and m that’s good enough

5 Likes

This is more to the point, I feel.

Nihilism is still a perceptual framework. The fact that you can say “I am nihilist” makes it a contradiction because you have created a constructed egoic identity around it. “But I’m just saying it to find others that see the meaningless like me”. Great, in group dynamics and socialization based on archetype. “No it’s just a reference for the truth”. What is truth?

I respect it as a perception, but I think that like most highly narrowed (or refined if you prefer) perspectives it is going to contradict itself when you distill it down far enough.

For my part, I’ve noticed nihilism is one way to interpret (paradigmatic, not mentallly) the experience of ever-present witness and non-dual seamlessness. When you get there, whatever tiny sliver of your identified self is still observing defines the frame of reference. Even the notion of non-dual awakened awareness is a tad contradictory. The most-refined version of it would, I assume, not even be remembered as an experience because to go there you’d leave that sliver behind as well.

There’s a remnant memory of “going there” and “coming back” but the actual state of it isn’t “in the records”.

And there are other ways of interpreting the experience.

The existential awakening required to grasp true nihilism is the same one required to grasp absolute love (bodhisattva status, etc), is the same one required to grasp deep and profound dharma or purpose.

Whatever we are and bring with us to that rarified and thin air experiences the entering and the returning and interprets that experience and out pops a paradigmatic view.

TL;DR, I love Nihilists because they harvested a paradigm I understand from my own going and returning but I didn’t personally bring back. There’s comradery in there, and as long as I remain human I can appreciate that.

8 Likes

Well said my friend. And great discussion in general @Dr_Manhattan @anon36920264 @sakulta .

You all said it better than I could but just to add my two cents since I was mentioned, I definitely went full on nihilist a couple years ago. But I went on to realize that it was a perceptual framework from which I would always see the meaningless of everything. And that this was just as limiting a perception as any other.

The freedom of meaninglessness is that everything can mean anything. My mind is free to believe from the infinite possibilities available. It is free to observe the same thing from multiple perspectives.

I guess if I had to narrow down my belief system down to one thing, it is that. I believe nothing but consider everything. As my favorite maxim goes ‘nothing is true, everything is permissable.’ In a universe of infinite perspectives, from which every person, every living being, every lower or higher form of consciousness, is experiencing and observing reality in its own unique way… truth seems wholly subjective at that point.

I know that urks some people too. I’ve met people that don’t like my perspective because they want truth. They believe in truth. And that’s why they tend to follow people who believe they got it figured out and tell it ‘how it is.’ I understand that humans find comfort in objectivity. It makes sense as it grants them comfort and some sense of order. But I do personally think the moment you close yourself to any belief system, you yet again close yourself to the game of duality. Limiting your mind black and white, what is true vs what is not true.

If there is something I’ve learned the more I’ve expanded my consciousness and the more dream has expanded his, is that… the more you expand your awareness, you certainly do know more. Your intuition expands greatly and you have access to more knowledge. BUT… the greatest knowledge you get and this feeling increases more and more is the feeling… that we don’t know ANYTHING at all. On the scale of inifinity, what we know is so incomparable of all that is out there.

And beyond that is the realization that we could also be wrong about everything. That is also an essential aspect to this perspective. Accepting you can also be wrong about everything. Maybe there is objectivity,ext…

That’s why I personally have a hard time trusting people who believe they got it figured all out. I tend to think their ego got wrapped up in the new things they learned and that they now they’ve closed themselves to infinity again. As far as I know (could be wrong), so as long as your mind is open to infinity, you will always be humbled to know that you don’t truly know anything. And that alone makes you rather humble and open to differing ideas and perspectives and never fall to any dogmas.

9 Likes

This I feel is the golden nugget that pretty much everyone brings back from that non-dual experience. There is no meaning, therefore we can define it as anything we want, which gives everything meaning and makes it infinitely meaningful, despite the fact that it has no meaning.

It is the great paradox of the human condition.

Meaninging is within the framework of existence. Outside of the framework there isn’t any. Content and Context. This realization is why I essentially shift into nihilism whenever I move my point of perception outside of the frame, and shift into dharmic optimism when inside. I am both and neither.

A dear friend and mentor of mine has some very clear and powerful thoughts on how to explore Meaning, Value, and Purpose:

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Aforrestlandry19%20meaning&src=typed_query&f=top

And

https://mflb.com/wb_web_2/upmp_ch7.htm#2_significance

4 Likes

A simple yet brilliant frame.

This paradox puts me in fits of laughing regularly. I’ve spent endless hours studying esoterica, mysticism, object energetics, wilderness immersion… you name it… and the further I go the less I know by percentage. Romanesco golden ratio spiral minutia down the rabbit hole to infinity and beyond and all I can do is keep going because the process of learning is so addicting, and the end doesn’t exist, so why not?

3 Likes

The fact that they believe in “nothingness” that belife of nothing itself becomes something. The very foundation itself is flawed in a way. That’s why an enlightened person or a person with open perspective doesn’t identify themselves with nihilism.

3 Likes

Similar to any refined concept or paradigm, aye?

Communism, democracy, nihilism, atheism, Christianity you go far enough into trying to refine something to it’s purest form and you end up with an awkward contradiction.

Nature doesn’t build monocrops. Everything is complex permaculture of holons and equilibrium. I feel that our inner space is healthiest when similarly complex, yet joyfully un-complicated.

4 Likes

Possibly since people has the tendency to tie themselves with some kind of identity and fall into it. It’s the tendency to believe in something greater than themselves or to put their faiths into someone or something. Personally I think if someone is a nihilist then he isn’t supposed to identify himself with it since he isn’t supposed to believe in any specific ideology. In other words that belife itself becomes an extension of one’s self programmed ego or belife system.

3 Likes

That’s when the journey gets fun man :sunglasses: Learning for the purpose to learn. Cause its fun. Not because you are trying to get to the underlying truth or some sort of destination. Learning just to learn gets you so much more out of it. Cause that’s when your mind is truly open and you get to see things from many different perspectives rather than focusing in your mind towards finding one thing.

Where I’m at with learning is currently more with experiences. I feel like im living vicariously through every person in this planet (well my higher self is). So I search for newness. Experiences or ideas that possibly haven’t been had. It’s a weird thing when you stumble on one. It’s a divine feeling of ‘holy crap, this was new!’ I’m like mariglade in a way. I feel little motivation to do something if I felt it has been done before.

Even though, I know in essence everything happening now is new. Even if its a variation of what happened in the past.

6 Likes

I certainly agree. But it’s a paradox of language at this point. Not believing in anything and considering every possibility also means considering that not believing in anything is wrong. So that means your mind is still open and not in a state of identification.

It’s just language makes it seem like identification although the second part of the statement, nullifies the identification of belief.

5 Likes

Language is very tricky. It can easily reprogram your brain without you even knowing. We all tend to use the word ’ this IS that’ ‘That IS this’. ‘IS’ implies objectivity. Something IS something no matter what. It completely closes the mind to all other possibilities. But this verb is so commonly used as are other verbs like ‘are’ and so on. You keep saying things this way, the brain programs your mind to take your statements as objective reality. And boom, your mind closes itself to that again.

I try my best to use maybe, perhaps, could be, ext… as much as possible but it is very hard. (You see I did it again. I said it IS very hard lmao). I do think if you are conscious of it, it shouldn’t be too difficult to stop the identification from happening.

4 Likes