Purposeless No More! - - - Being Purposeless? Living a Purposeless Life?

Although I do have goals, my greatest satisfaction actually is when I don’t have to do anything and I can just relax, watch some Buffy (the 90s/2000s show), eat some biscuits and drink my Cappuccino or my Strong Dark Coffee, slowly and relaxed and without worries or thoughts for that matter.

Is there a Need to have a purpose?
Can I just Live a Good, Purposeless Life?

What is your view on living a purposeless life?

5 Likes

i’d say stop trying to be perfect. never be complete. let the chips fall where they may

2 Likes

Great Advice. :+1:
Thanks.

You’re begging my favorite question:

• What are you meaning when you say “Need”? (Because there’s very little in this world that we truly Need, in the truest definition of that word.)
  • What are you meaning when you say “purpose”?

What purpose do the birds or the bees, the tall trees, the pretty flowers or our furry friends and our friends with many legs have?

If they do have a “purpose,” who’s holding them on task?

4 Likes
1 Like

Well, you make it quite complicated. :sweat_smile:

Well, to be honest, our needs are tied to survival, to instincts, we also have these spiritual needs (not material), anyway, besides these, to be honest, when I was really depressed I saw no meaning and I thought of suicide

Summary

(I was very sick at the time), but then I thought how much would that hurt my mom and I did not do it; since then I never thought about it)

, later, the following years I tried to find meaning and I was obsessed with love, the power of good, etc., nowadays I don’t really care that much about purpose, goals (yes, I want to have a better life, but only because I’m motivated due to health issues, poverty, etc.) And I’m Not suicidal. :sweat_smile:

I feel that Life is Fine without a purpose (I also found out about these ideas that we are actually the Divine having this experience, we are living in “A Matrix”, and so, purpose, becomes, idk, cheaper, if it’s All Maya/Illussion/whatever).

2 Likes

I have not checked the link, gonna do it later; at first glance, I seem to be an expert in doing as little as possible, slow paced living, slow living at it’s finest. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Actuially, I’m simplifying things for you.

That’s right.

Given that our Needs are tied to survival, how is your idea of “purpose” tied to survival?

If it’s not (and, from where I sit, I can’t see how it is tied to survival), then it’s not a “Need” for you. That answers your question. Very simply.

And what do you mean when you talk about “meaning”?

Because to me, “purpose” is different from “meaning,” which is why I started my original reply to you where I did. Until you share with me what you mean when you use these terms, I can only answer you from my perspective, which is likely not to be helpful to you, you see?

Could this be your “purpose”? Or are you making it quite complicated? :wink:

1 Like

(BTW, you didn’t answer the questions of the second half of my reply.)

1 Like

You see, for me, spirituality is an extension, since I first know myself from the perspective that I am more familiar with, from the perspective of my own body and mind (Ego, whatever), so, for me, my first purpose being Survival, I find it natural to want to Explore, to Know and to Help Myself on All Levels, Physical, Mental, Spiritual (those levels above material/incarnated me), since having a strong Me on all levels, would make both the physical survival and life (this incarnation and others) and the Higher Self having an easier time, so the overall Purpose would be to Evolve on All Levels, to escape suffering as much as possible…

While for the Word Meaning, now I idk, I think that word can easily change it’s Meaning :wink:, depending on many circumstances; now, idk, what Meaning means for/to my Higher Self, but I try to Create Meaning, I give meaning to My Life Nowadays…

Purposes can also be changed, my journey and my ideas are not so fixed, now I see it this way, who knows what will I think or believe or how I will see things years from now, or even months…

Perhaps, that’s why I asked this question, I guess that I don’t want to bother myself with Purposes, Meaning(s) or Anything (since they change or I changr them) and Only Do what is necessary and what helps me here and now, first of all…
Idk…

My Coffee is FULL of meaning, it relaxes me. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Idk if animals have meaning or not…
I have no idea if anything has a meaning.
Now, I do know that I respect and appreciate Life, so for me, it has meaning, but I can not define it…

I think it’s just about being happy and discovering/improving yourself. There is a joy in that.

You can juggle future and present happiness.

Consuming future happiness today (ie: Drugs, today will be awesome, tomorrow is gonna suck)

Investing in future happiness at today’s expense
(Ie: Grinding your business, balling later).

But surely there is something that you find pleasurable in this world which you want to maximize, things that you find affect negatively your pleasure which you want ti minimize.

Then you make a count and that’s your target.

We all have needs and desires, humans are not complicated. We are primitive consciousness device.

Know yourself

You want to be happy, you’re not why ?
If you’re numb, figure out why and get to it

Perceiving> interpreting> acting

6 Likes

Like you are satisfied if you are not forced to do something you don´t want? Or like you just enjoy doing nothing?

My pov is this. The more I found myself unhappy with myself / my circumstances the more need I felt for distraction. Let it be internet/tv,pmo,drugs, food (a BIG one!)…you name it.

The desire for anything that doesn´t serve a purpose is usually rooted in some form of unhappiness.
( = survival mode / lack of self love / unable to meet my emotional/financial/physical/spiritual/etc. needs.)
My experience is, the more I get out of survival mode, the more I feel connected to my natural desire for purpose in my life.

Not to condem hedonism completely (enjoying yourself shouldn´t be wrong at all)

First things first. You want control/power over yourself / your life. You will find that your desires and preferences will change the more you´ll have of it.

Start by self love/ healing your trauma and dissolving limiting beliefs.
It´s often mentioned here and can get annoying/repetitive but it´s really the foundation for everything else.Get to know yourself for real, examine yourself, question everything you believe and if it is something you really want.

Overall, don´t stress it. Take your time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. :pray:

I find lots of things pleasurable, it’s just that pleasure is not so heightened or strong anymore; things that affect negatively my pleasure, these would be sickness and poverty, bad things, both of them.

Yes, my target is to get rid of these.

As for the other part, I agree that work today can make a better tomorrow (I think spiritual work can be included, effort on all levels); as for drugs, except cofffee and rarely alcohol, I don’t use anything.

Edit: Also, perhaps the fact that I do not find pleasure such a High anymore can be a sign that I am, perhaps, more balanced?
Not being That addicted to pleasures? :thinking:

2 Likes

An extension of what? (And what are you meaning when you say “spirituality”? Are you seeing how using these abstract words aren’t helping you reach the clarity that you want?)

There you go. And you also know that your second purpose beyond this is to experience a better life, however you define that for yourself. See? it’s really not so complicated, right?

…for you (this is not natural for everyone)

Great!

Can you allow these to be your “purposes” too?

Now, here’s another question for you to contemplate: You’ve told us that you want

and this is just great. So, my question for you is “How will you know when you’re doing these things for you?”

I was talking about right there, in your post, in that circumstance that you were using it, because I like to keep things simple.

You can’t help but create meaning of what’s going on in your life. That’s the function of the Left Hemisphere of your brain. Now, I’m not capitalizing “meaning” because I’m using the word in its traditional meaning.

You did an hour ago, when you opened this thread. But, as you said, things change. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, why then should you have meaning? Are you seeing my point?

1 Like

Both. :sweat_smile:

Agree.

Yes, this idea, it’s quite everywhere on this forum, but it’s the true foundation and I:m currently working on it, daily, with a cup of coffee of course. :coffee:

I would say that I AM A HEDONIST, YES, FINALLY, @WellBeing, IF YOU WANT TO KNOW, I THINK THIS IS WHAT I AM, I LOVE PLEASURE! :sweat_smile:

That’s what I’m doing. Thanks Again! :pray:

Since all these levels are interconnected, I guess that by having Peace, Joy, Happiness, Pleasure and by feeling Great, I’m doing my Part?

Besides “fulfiling” unknown karmic purposes…

Anyway, I do what I can to Improve and to Live a Good Life. :sweat_smile::pray:
I try to Take Care of ALL My Needs, but the other unkown parts of me, it’s like walking in complete darkness, I have no idea what My Higher Self wants or needs…

Perhaps, in/with Time, it will be All Clear.

I’m waay too flexible, basically it’s like I am fulfilling a role and my words, wants and needs change so fast OR I am truly a Complex Character (my Higher Self must be quite Amused with me)…

And isn’t that enough for you?

1 Like

I guess, No, since a Great a Pleasure is Health (I still need to achieve a better health), other great pleasures are Power, Money, Love (romantic kind), etc., well, I guess I have many goals, yet perhaps my Greatest one is to Feel Good, To Have a Good Life NOW. :sweat_smile:
THEN comes the rest…

Thank You for these replies and Thank You All for Your Answers. :pray:

So @WellBeing, I guess I am not that purposeless afterall… :sweat_smile:

I just want an Easy Life AND with All the Achievements (I’m a cheater :joy:).