Why do you think we dream?

Do you think we travel somewhere else or is all in our minds? Thoughts?

5 Likes

My honest answer or at least this should be true for a large portion of dreams, the random images etc are your thoughts conscious and ‘subconscious’ being randomly stringed together. Your emotional memory adds to this by fleshing out a story led by your experiences, (long term and or short term experiences) which is why dreams can be very telling about your personal state of being and even predict future events, (by playing out the natural progression of what you are experiencing at the moment and your knowledge of how the world operates as the rules to see the finished story.)
things seen in a dream as in images are personal to the user, like if you dreamt of a young dog running beside you and you woke up not feeling well. People will generalize that you have a companion in life or a young playful dog represents joy and good fortune etc. They would not of known that you have phobia of dogs, due to previous ‘not so wholesome’ experiences with dogs.

44 Likes

Dream prediction might be false ? Or mis understood most of the time?

1 Like

I think there are multiple layers of dreaming.
Chaotic dreams
Symbolic dreams
Healing dreams / solution centered dreams
Predictive dreams
Clairvoyant dreams about other people, past lifes etc.

It is just a theory though

5 Likes

Maybe we dream because when we are asleep, our consciousness works uncoordinated and the impressions that occur do not run through the normal filter. Our minds, our brains (whatever may apply) would then simply work around the clock and affect our sleep rsp the state of mind. Buddhist monks with thousands of hours of meditation practice can remain conscious and dreamless asleep.

“If we cannot carry our practice into sleep,” Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche writes, “If we lose ourselves every night, what chance do we have to be aware when death comes? Look to your experience in dreams to know how you will fare in death. Look to your experience of sleep to discover whether or not you are truly awake.”

Dream Yoga is a big part of Tibetan Tantric Yoga and dreams are immensely useful.

12 Likes

Did you read the Bardo Thödröl?

2 Likes

Oh yes!! Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche is one of my teachers and this is one of his core teachings. Gyurme Dorje’s translation is my favorite.

3 Likes

You’ll remember where you went if you’re aware enough. So called “Astral Projection” and “OBE” are not superpowers nor supernatural. If only we understand its connection to “dreams”…

2 Likes

Many mammals dream. It’s a process that the conscious mind occasionally witnesses and can sometimes shape.

The question gets to the issue of whether consciousness is the first order business of reality or an epiphenomenon of physical processes. Morphic fields hint at a consciousness being the primary stuff of reality (though, a more strained case can probably made in the other direction.) Whatever is the case, it seems the work of people here to increase the amount the amount of physical and spiritual autonomy for individuals. As hat autonomy increases, our relationship to dreams will change.

1 Like

It’s definitely the former.

The many cases of “demonic possessions”, “spirit channeling”, and so called “schizophrenia” give validity to the idea that the physical body is a vehicle and another consciousness may possess it.

And many extraordinary cases of “Past life regression” and “Reincarnation” also accounts for why people have dreams and memories of such a detail that matches an actual historical moment without having any influence on those details…really says something about how our consciousness may be passed from a past life’s body and personality to another.

The thing we ought to ponder on is, which part of us is dreaming?

3 Likes

I can agree with you that some of my dreams have predicted the future of the next following day on many occasions and even the far future. I can also understand how our dreams reflect our current emotional and mental state.

Although I’ve had dreams where I’ve been to unusual places (different reality) that I’ve never seen before in my waking life.

All I can say is… my nightmares definitely make alot more sense, are very clear and I remember most of them.

1 Like