As Above, So Below

‘As above so below’

What does this phrase mean to you?

To me, As above, so below, indicates that the heavens are mere reflections of the lower realms of existence just as the lower realms are reflections of the higher. Your inner world reflects the outer world and the outer world reflects the inner world. Reality is an infinite set of mirrors, each set from a higher or lower degree of perspective. In essence though, all is one.

Some Hindu spiritual thinkers such as Sri Aurobindo believed that Vedic deities were not only forces of nature but also forces that exist within the human intellect & psyche. The gods, goddesses and evil forces were mere representations of various cosmic forces that play significant roles in the drama of creations, preservation and destruction in the inner world of a human being. They were magnifications of our various inner energies that in a sense, are conscious in their own right and contribute to the development of our beingness.

I personally believe a lot of mythology to be personifications of ‘as above, so below’. Everything is alive, especially all that we humans have imagined. You might be surprised to know that all the characters we’ve created in fiction manifest in the astral as sentient beings, made up of all that we thought them to be.

So the question is, were the deities from all the religions made up by the human imagination? Yes and no.

The forces of nature that make up these deities existed before mankind could even begin to think of itself this deeply. Our imaginations (generally envisioned by the shamans under the influence of psychedelics) gave these forces names and imagery… and personalities that coincided with their nature. In a sense, we gave these forces egos through which a powerful sentient energy would be created that would rule over cultures that believed them to be a certain way.

So these deities would become humanized aspects of forces like the sun, storms, love, destruction, ext… The deites were imagined and would manifest in the mental realm… also known as the astral. A realm that is nowhere (although, arguable between the 3rd and 4th dimension) and is the mental backdrop of mankind’s collective consciousness… where our thoughts manifest and exist on their own accord. This mental realm is within us all, so in a sense, all these deities are within us all as well.

And so throughout the ages, mankind would manifest the forces of creation, destruction, love, hatred in the forms of these ‘personalities’ within us (sort of like software to our hardware). And our minds would also attune these deities to our outside world which would also be affected by ‘prophecies’ and collective beliefs. Collective belief is a higher power itself and has the power to affect nature. And so we would be ruled by the gods we create in our minds… As above, so below.

But are there actual gods not created by man?

Well… any aspect of consciousness is god. Anything that can observe is creating reality itself and so therefore, all of consciousness is god. What confuses humans is that ‘god’ doesn’t think in a singular perspective but from infinite perspectives (although one can say the infinite perspectives is the singular perspective).

And there are many beings beyond the degree of perception (3rd dimension) we live in now, that exist all around us. I’m speaking of the higher degrees of perception (4D, 5D), from which beings like the machine elves that many people on dmt have reported seeing, exist.

Are these sentient beings reflections of us/we reflections of them as well?

We are in fact lower reflections of the higher realms (such as 5d), in a way that makes me feel so insignificant when thinking about it. It’s hard to fathom in what way to be quite honest. We are closer to the beings of the upper 3rd-4th dimension though. To the extent that we manifest them rather often.

(Understand though, that vibratory rates are not clear cut like 4th dimension, 3rd dimension. Think of vibratory rates more as, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3,3.4, 3.5, ext… They are more like waves… and as the waves rises it reaches closer to something higher then crashes and we back down again. so we are trying to ride the wave then catapult upwards, 4d is not the end point, its just how far and what ‘gradient’ your momentum carries you. )

Sometimes, the negative entities we attract into our lives are manifestations of the inner negative energies within us. Negative thought patterns from traumas, emotional abuse or such things tend to attract entities that feed off of the energy we project. Those tend to be reflections of our inner state of being that exists as aspects of these states of being.

Much of our inner world reflects the outer world. In fact, once you begin to ascend and dissolve much of your ego, you’ll begin to see the people in your life as different aspects that make up your inner beingness. Like an amalgamation of energies flowing within you and each of them making up the whole you. They are your world. It’s hard to see how even the people you hate in life represent certain aspects of yourself until… you can actually see it.

In the same light, the outer world reflects the inner. Your ego was partly created by your parents, friends and environment. You had no conscious part in that at an early age. And once you began to have more control of your life, many of the patterns created by your interactions with the outside world were already solidified in you. There are some people that say we manifest everything into our lives but this is not true… considering the outside world manifests energies within us as well. So we affect and are affected by the inner worlds of others we interact with.

Although we live in our own little bubbles of reality (constricted to our beliefs, fears, ext…), we all collectively create the shared reality we all exist in. That’s why we still see and experience the same things, albeit in different ways. From an individual perspective, we can only see a very small part of the bigger picture.

But when we let go of our ego and see that we are part of a greater whole, we’ll get a much expanded sense of the bigger picture. And the reality of as above so below will blow your mind like nothing else.

Anyways these are just my thoughts on this. Take it all with a grain of salt. And now, share what you think! I’m curious as to your thoughts on the maxim, even if you fully disagree with me.

52 Likes

So in theory we all Jesus…

5 Likes

For me, this statement is another way of saying that All that is (Universe would be understatement) is a lot like a fractal, but not 2D, like a drawing, not 3D fractal like a tree, but fractal piercing unlimited dimensions and planes. Think about any Star system and protons, electrons, atoms. In a sense Star systems is “above” plane and atoms are “below” there was a picture on the internet comparing ovservable universe and human neuron’s net.

Also I believe every cell, every single atom is conscious, in a sense one particle “knows” how to react, interact with another. Water knows how to Flow and in what direction. Sure, one may argue that those are non sentient, somewhat “dead” mechanisms of existence. But that would also mean that there is nothing really conscious in Universe, since we, as humans are also “just” particles, chemicals and matter. That would also mean we are just hallucinating our consciousness, and we dont have anything like free will, any impact on our lifes in fact. Why? Because we would also be just mechanisms, just chemical reactions. Same with our choices, actions, thoughts, emotions. Just reaction and mechanism so complex that we, as a mere parts of one big machine could never really understand. Thats why, in my opinion, if we want to truly consider ourselves as conscious beings, beings with a soul- we have to also consider every single particle as conscious. Same with our Solar system, Galaxy and everything that scales above, and below.
Now, with this in mind, consider this: when I Get sick/ injured that also makes my cells injured. Not all at once, not every cell, but in a corresponding area.
Also if our there is a Cataclysm somewhere on Earth, humans Get injured in that area, also plants and animals.
If I do something good with myself, keep myself healthy, my cells are happy aswell.
Same, when Earth is in better condition, living things on earth enjoy that.
And that Goes to every above, and every below possible.
When Universe Evolves, I evolve. When I evolve, my cells evolves. When my cells are “happy” I am happy. When I am happy, I bring that happines to the World.
Using that understanding, I would Say that “As above, so below” is another way of saying “All is One, One is All”

6 Likes

i’ve been taking this idea and limiting my perspective towards my physical body and how it reflects my outer reality.

4 Likes

I guess you can say it’s the same game but the ‘other level’ is so vastly different that it doesn’t seem like the same game anymore. For one, I say heavens but that’s not really a concept in the higher realms. Duality is transcended which means negative is positive and positive is negative. There is no separation really.

The separation happens when you go the lower realms, such as 3D, the one we are in where everything feels/is separate.

Growth is different in those realms as well. It would be very fresh and more freeing than you percieve it to be. We’re still thinking of these things from a human perspective which is very limited. It’s pretty much a different ballgame and the higher we go, the more free we are truly. And from the little I know of the higher realms, growth is done more collectively rather than individually being that consciousness is more consciously collective, rather than individual. (this is mostly speculative).

Now think of it this way, the body’s ecosystem of cells is our physical inner world… it’s a completely different level of existence. They aren’t exactly working on meditation, self control and whatnot. Yet this inner world reflects on the outer world as our form, health and overall physical beingness. In this same way, the higher realms aren’t working on the same things yet are working towards the same goals.

I don’t think of it as a hierarchy as well. As @Forumuser said, all is one, one is all. All these realms of mind are of one mind. It’s all one. Me and you are just fragments of this 1 mind, expanding our awareness with each life and rising up to become all awareness. The higher realms aren’t better than the lower. It is all subjective and just different degrees of consciousness.

Funny you mention that though about why can’t we just do our thing and then dissolve into nothingness. Had this conversation with dream the other day. And it’s basically that… non existence is existence itself. You are a not only a part of the universe but you are IT as well… so if ‘you’ just stop existing, you just become IT again. Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

12 Likes

Yup, all good so far. I guess it’s just the maxim that’s “off putting” to me.
I’m too lazy, experiencing things is tiring lol

Wow :exploding_head: , how come I’ve never thought of that. Simple math :+1:t2:

Though being the universe (if it’s the closest we get to nothingness) is easier and more free so, close enough. Still desirable.

Edit again: though I suppose that beyond the semantic, without being destroyed, we could be inactive, zero reactivity, completely isolated forever.
Like some data/energetic information saved and stored. The final word having been said on the matter of our lives.
It would amount to the same without the problème of destroying energy. “Frozen”
“Welcome the inactive dimension for decommissioned vessels ! ”
I’m making stuff up now :joy:
In the end there’s probably a loophole on that too

8 Likes

Agreed. Consciousness is the essence of everything. As above, so below is a mirror to the statement All is One, One is All. I think one is all, all is one is easier to understand though. I could see why As above, so below can confuse people lol.

6 Likes

My friend read my post and was on the phone with me and felt the same way haha. She was like ‘that’s a limiting perspective… how is it that above is just like we are?? How do you know that?’ lol. Truth is, it’s just a phrase to describe the interconnectivity of everything. As above, so below isn’t literal and exactness of reflection in the same way mirrors do lol. It’s deeper than that.

Man, I’ve had that feeling on occasion though! To just be. Like a tree… Or just pure nothingness. I’ve been in those states of mind before and it’s the best… but then I get a phone call or got to run an errand :angry: So to not exist does sound nice man :smiley:

7 Likes

It’s a bit early in the morning so I’ll write a proper one later.

Regarding change in perspective at higher levels.
As childrens’ brain and nervous system develop, there is a benchmark numerical processing ability “level” which is age appropriate.
You put a young kid in front of two glasses, one slim and tall and the other wide and shorter; you pour water from one to the other and they will confidently fell you the water is “more” in the taller one because the level is higher.

One day a long time ago I was having breakfast with my nieces and the younger one (4 at the time) asked me to cut her toast into 2.
I did, and then out of nowhere she started crying saying “I can’t eat two!!”
Lol ok… eat one then and see how feel about the other one :laughing:

I think it’s a bit like that, of course at one level there is duality and you can’t imagine what life really could be without - but once you’ve transcended that it’s obvious that that was just fake/silly all along.

8 Likes

Things were more looked like this when I realized what I was doing to get answers or trying to decode or understand why /what/ how …blah blah blah of things/me/people/universe and what not …lol

2 Likes

During one of the peak summer 5 years back, I’ve written and circulated this short story to everyone in my circle to reduce the soaring temperatures. This is pretty much linked to the topic here…so pasting as-is…

Short Story Title: Pranaam Divakaram (Salute to the Sun)
Characters: Ramu, Somu, You, Me and everyone
Genre: Universal Message, thought-provoking

Ramu and Somu are two good friends who always think to do good for the society and humanity by bringing change in everyone for the highest ideals. The conversation goes like this….
Ramu: Do you know the reason for the current soaring temperatures?
Somu: Yes. It’s just because of pollution, over usage of fuels, deforestation etc. resulting in global warming.
Ramu: Do you think If we can bring down the over usage and reduce the carbon footprint?
Somu: I don’t think it’s suddenly practically possible because of so called growing economies
throughout globe which will eventually use more fuels, deforestation for urbanization creation etc. Air conditioners and coolers are one viable option to safeguard from this summer.
Ramu: But, that creates more incremental worsening effect to the current climatic condition.
Somu: True. Enough of your Q&A session. Do you have any other alternative?
Ramu: The reasons you said are absolutely true from external view point. But in my opinion, the main causes for the rising temperature is the rising temperament in the individual minds filled with negative thoughts/emotions – greed, hatred, anger, fear and apathy.
Somu: Your argument seems interesting and also not clear. How is it exactly related - People feelings and Sun radiance?
Ramu: Before we jump on to this explanation. Let us talk on the relation of moonlight and the link of serenity/love. Everyone has experienced the pleasantness after viewing the moon and the feeling of peace and serenity. But the question is – If the love in oneself made moon to look so pleasant/lovable or the moon’s light has an effect on person’s mood. The answer is both are true.
Somu: How can that be true?
Ramu: See, if A can show an effect on B. Then, without any doubt, B can affect A irrespective of the size of the affect. The impact of single person may not show significant change, but the collective love and happiness can drastically affect the universe. After all, Sun and moon are part of this vast universe.
Somu: I didn’t get you completely.
Ramu: This universe is like a symphony and we each have a part to play. We must so tune our instrument – body and mind that whenever we strike a note, it should be a harmonious note. Let us be in harmony and in synchronicity with the universe in generating positive thoughts and emotions.
Somu: So, you say our thoughts and emotions create the effects on the atmosphere.
Ramu: Absolutely, Yes. “What you feel inside, you see the same outside.”
The thoughts we think steadily, create our atmosphere. Everyone can self-analyse this statement if this isn’t true in their lives? Happy thoughts makes one’s life happy.
Somu: How can a person be always happy and loving in this daily stressful environments?
Ramu: Yeah, I was expecting this from you. You can argue and blame everyone for the circumstances not allowing us to be healthy, happy and being positive. But, please think, my dear – who created this circumstances? It’s You, Me and Everyone. Can anyone stop us if you are determined to be happy and prosperous?
Somu: What you said is absolutely true and agreeable? Then what about our soaring temperatures.
Ramu: Let me illustrate. One day 1000 people were having celebrations in a big kingdom. Suddenly, there was a loud cry by one of them. The other 999 started staring at him. Now the question is what would be the best move at this point?

• Everyone just staring at the crying fellow and affect the mood of the party OR
  • At least a few of them react to the situation and console the crying fellow.

The mood of the house (GLOBE) depends on who affects whom. Either 1 crying guy (SUN) affects the others (HUMANS) or vice-versa.
The takeaway point is ‘-‘ve or ‘+’ve, we all share the feelings with others. We are not separate from anyone – be it nature, insects, neighbors, society, world, stars, and this whole universe.
Somu: Now it all makes sense after pondering over my personal experiences after all your
explanations. Somehow, I am not able to get convinced 100% when I think with my logical mind.
Ramu: I can understand. Even I was in your position once till I realized this fact. The only solution is to try out an experiment. Then this experiment becomes our experience. I am sure then you don’t need any explanation beyond your own experience. “Just try to understand the relation of your thoughts and actions”. Again, “Happy thoughts make one’s life happy.”
Somu: I agree! What should I do now?
Ramu: The best way to generate positive vibrations is through prayers and wishes. Try below
wordings whole-heartedly or you can write one, keep in mind the highest good happening to you, nature and everyone. Pray to fill yourself with joy every day.

Prayer of gratitude:
I am immensely indebted to the universe for providing me fresh air, water, and earthly
resources. Let us lead a perfect life with a healthy body and mind filled with positive thoughts
and actions. I bow to THE ONE feet who is EVERYWHERE, EVERYTIME and for EVERYTHING…. I love, accept and respect my feelings and others. YES, YES, YES.

|| SARVEJANA SUKHINO BHAWANTU TATASTHU ||
|| OM SHANTI: SHANTI: SHANTI: ||

4 Likes

This is my longest post so far… :stuck_out_tongue:

In Hinduism as the Sanskrit verse says – “ yat brahmande tat pinde, yat pinde tat brahmande “ meaning “as the microcosm, so the macrocosm and as the microcosm, so the macrocosm.” In other words, “as above, so below” and also we can infer “as below, so above”. IF, A = B then B =A , therefore there is only ‘A’ … :stuck_out_tongue: Hence, proved ! lol

Singularity is the base of all things like silence is the base of all sounds!

For me this is an eternal universal law applicable since creation, otherwise we wouldn’t be interacting with life for ages. There is a continuous stream of communication and transfer of knowledge between these 2 worlds (micro and macrocosms) irrespective of ones belief. I always think that if there is an idea that is popping up in us, is that the universe gave that idea or we generated that idea or? Probably, it’s both or maybe something else…

How I understand and prove this law?

Simple,
We feel cold, hot, dry… then the world above is affecting us.
We see hurricanes, earthquakes and so … then the law is in operating….as above is affecting us 100% all the time.

We see this always day/night around us – ‘as above’ in the sense is the ‘world around us’ and I see that it’s not something specific to something on top of us. It is the world around us including everything (lit. everything – people, machines, planets etc.) Other than our perceived physical body. The world around us is an alive breathing intelligent being connected by ‘breath’ with us.

As I understand, Breath is the bridge for everything!

But, the things are not that apparent as in the other half of the law– ‘as below so above’. This is where humans deny the link with the nature and ‘I/MY/ME – The EGO’ responses starts from this point. The moment we understand the inherent link with nature, its workings, we acknowledge it,… then the ‘beauty appears as in the beholder’.

Once we understand this, we can be peaceful irrespective of the chaos around us. We can be in harmony with the universe. This is where we need to be self introspective, carry a meditative mindset.

What affects what is the question at each and every moment. All forces interact to find balance and bring resonance to the universe.

The way I understand the maxim is – If I am able to look(lock) the light-years of space in my 2 cm of physical eyes , would that mean that the space exists inside me too? Yes, exists in both!
Welcome to quantum reality!
If it’s inside me, how does it fit into me? It fits into my mind and my mind has infinite capacity.
If it’s an infinite mind, this should include this universe too by logic.
If it’s infinite and includes this external universe, are there 2 minds in operation? There can’t be. I can hereby conclude that there is only one mind in operation!

I imagine us like we are individual systems connected to a central server. (like WAN or something)

It’s like a ‘holographic’ universe where even the smallest stream of light contains the complete pattern of the whole. All parts make the whole and each part is a whole in itself. Our own intelligence, perception and capacity for pattern recognition is the link between the microcosm and macrocosm.

I am also sure that the Sapien meditations and the sacred flower operates on similar laws/principles. I did feel the incoming and outgoing of ‘something’ through me …lol

dimensions, deities next time :smiley:…I’d like to write but that might take hours for me …lol…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

For me “As Above, So Below” is simply another way of saying that “Consciousness Creates Reality”. A reminder that you have to look inside and re-evaluate the reality creating programs in your subconscious mind. That’s it. Period. :mage:

Also… this awesome occult movie:

5 Likes

The question is, if there is something “biggest” or the “above” scales up without end

2 Likes

As above, so below are two sides of the same coin.
Without getting into deep thoughts.

Good/evil
Negative/positive
Ego/spirit

One can’t exist without the other.

3 Likes

Same. But the moment I perform another action, like merely getting up from my chair and walking around, the synchronicity is lost. I guess the rest of my life will be spent trying to achieve this synchronicity in every action I do, no matter how mundane.

2 Likes

Lol that reminded me of this video

2 Likes

Isnt true balance a state where action and inaction are one and the same?
Just doing Your own thing without thought or effort.
Fusion of Action and Detachment

3 Likes

Yup. My ability to access those states still needs a lot of work.

2 Likes

a lot of work sounds like an effort man
guess we have an ‘‘flow state paradox’’ here?

2 Likes