General Discussion

talking about UFC 300 :heart_eyes:?

I know not exactly that, but i hope for some cool names to fight there, at least one of those: Sean Strickland, Khamzat, Dricus, Makachev, Pereira, Adesanya, Connor.

2 Likes

well look at that, i donā€™t follow ufc and it literally popped in my head to use that as an example.

1 Like

Makes sense: head trauma, disturbed homelife, a different schooling philosophy, poisoned food and water, insane media, drugs; Iā€™m surprised her IQ didnā€™t get cut in half. Human beings are very resilient.

It definitely does not make sense from the classical ā€œgeneticsā€ modality of mainstream science. (which is exactly the point)

1 Like

the twin with lower IQ had 3 concussion in her life that were serious enough to be in her medical records combined with the fact that these twins are in their 50s (I searched in different articles).

One of these twin also spent her life in Korea, with a Korean culture/language software and lifestyle which is more likely healthier.

The usual variation in twins raised in the same countries even different families is like 7 points, now you add up a few points for a different language, different lifestyle, culture and the 3 concussions at 50+ yo :man_shrugging: If she was smokingā€¦

I mean they even mention that their personalities are very similar.

4 Likes

I donā€™t believe concussions affect IQ. Feel free to correct me. I didnā€™t see where it was mentioned that she suffered them at a late age either. (whether they matter or not)

The point here would be, a morphic field variation affected overall intelligence. Which is the whole point of what people here try to do, no?

1 Like

Hebbian learning is a well known thing, IQ heredity too. Iā€™m not sure I get this part though ?

However there is the background debate about nature vs nurture and itā€™s important to be careful when talking about this.

As for concussions, well, check the link I shared and look into the impact of trauma on the brain, athletes are especially susceptible.

4 Likes

If it lowers short term memory and working memory, which for some people can take years to recover from (if they ever do), then it can affect IQ.

4 Likes

Weā€™re talking multiple concussions here too

I mean, meditating, eating vegetables or even just walking 30 minutes a day can increase your IQ but getting 3 blows to the head serious enough to end up in your medical records doesnā€™t ?

The life expectancies are different in Korea and Iā€™m sure they have a healthier lifestyle.

4 Likes

Yeah, playing American football I believe I actually took a hit that changed my cognitive capabilities. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m healed now, but I definitely took a hit in cognition prior to finding ā€œbrain regenerationā€ and the others.

Not super major, but definitely wasnā€™t the same. Helmet to helmet is no joke.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also the healthcare deal that everybody likes to rip America for. South Korea has universal health care, I know of a few people people who make frequent use of it even for minor things. It would be different in the United states, and that would likely have an impact on things as well.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s been experiments, they got rich kids to eat poor peopleā€™s food, they stopped eating all fancy organic food and switched to industrial more average American food and their scores dropped, they reported having brain fogs.

Iā€™m sure that the Korean twin would have lost a couple points if sheā€™d been eating the middle class American diet for a couple decades. Less walking more driving.

Would have been nice to also see if they both had high IQ or low IQ. Maybe one got 95 the other 79. Or 130 and 114. That would be interesting too to know.

5 Likes

I used to experience this first hand every summer lol. Every single summer.

2 Likes

So much potential for research, wasted.

A few correlations, no real causations, and they call it ā€œdataā€ - a waste really.

There are too many confounding factors tbh.

More microplastic, neurodegenerative pesticides, etc etc.

If things like these are tucked under the rug ā€¦ who knows.

Might be interesting, Idk

1. Limits of External Influence on Intra-Brain Networks

Brain resilience refers to the brainā€™s inherent capacity to resist, recover from, and adapt to various forms of stressors or stimuli. This complex trait is integral to maintaining brain health and functionality despite adversities like traumatic injuries, neurodegenerative diseases, or even psychological stress. The concept of brain resilience is rooted in neurobiology and cognitive science, drawing from research on the brainā€™s structural plasticity, homeostatic mechanisms, and ability to generate new neurons, among other processes. Resilience is not a static trait; rather, it reflects the brainā€™s dynamic responses to varying circumstances over time.

A range of factors contribute to brain resilience. Genetic factors play a significant role; certain genes have been linked with greater resilience, including those involved in neurogenesis, synaptic plasticity, and the stress response. However, genetics alone does not determine brain resilience. Environmental and lifestyle factors also have substantial influence.

Environmental factors such as exposure to stress, toxins, or trauma can affect brain resilience, sometimes in complex and unexpected ways. For example, moderate stress can sometimes bolster resilience by promoting adaptive responses, while severe or chronic stress can undermine it.

Lifestyle factors including physical exercise, a balanced diet, and adequate sleep can enhance brain resilience. Regular exercise promotes neurogenesis and improves brain vascular health, while a balanced diet provides the nutrients necessary for brain health. Adequate sleep promotes the clearance of neurotoxic waste products and supports the consolidation of memories, among other benefits. In contrast, sedentary behavior, poor diet, and sleep deprivation can erode brain resilience.

The human brainā€™s neuroplasticity, or its capacity to modify its connections and reorganize itself, is a remarkable characteristic that allows for learning, adaptation, and recovery. Yet, despite the immense potential of neuroplasticity, it is important to recognize that there are fundamental limits to the extent to which our brain networks can be influenced by external factors.

While external stimuli, such as learning new skills, exposure to novel environments, or undergoing certain therapeutic interventions can indeed lead to significant changes in brain structure and function, these changes are typically limited to strengthening or weakening existing neural connections, or in some cases, fostering the development of new ones.

However, the brainā€™s architecture has an inherent structure, determined in large part by genetics and early development. Certain core aspects of this architecture, such as the general layout of brain regions and major neural pathways, are highly resistant to change. Thus, while a pianist can enhance the neural connections related to finger dexterity and musical comprehension, they cannot remodel their brain to the extent that they could, for instance, suddenly start experiencing echolocation like a bat.

Moreover, neuroplasticity is influenced by age. During critical periods in childhood, the brain exhibits heightened plasticity, rapidly forming new connections. As we age, our brains become less plastic, meaning that they are less able to form new connections and more likely to lose existing ones. Hence, interventions aimed at altering brain function may face greater challenges and yield less dramatic results in older individuals.

Furthermore, the capacity for neuroplastic change is not unlimited and can be exhausted if overly taxed. Chronic stress, for example, can lead to a maladaptive form of plasticity, potentially contributing to mental health issues like depression or anxiety disorders.

Our brain doesnā€™t exist in isolation but is constantly being shaped and reshaped by a myriad of internal and external influences.

However, itā€™s not merely a one-way interaction. Our behaviors, in turn, contribute to the continuous sculpting of our neural wiring. Itā€™s this constant feedback loop that gives rise to our unique personalities and patterns of behavior.

The dynamic equilibrium between our neural wiring and external influences forms the crux of our existence. While our neural wiring forms the basis of our thought processes, emotions, and behaviors, itā€™s not an immutable construct. Instead, it is shaped, reinforced, and sometimes challenged by external factors such as our environment, experiences, and societal norms.

Recognizing this complex interplay can give us a clearer understanding of our behaviors, motivations, and decision-making processes. It also sheds light on our ability to adapt to new situations and challenges, further emphasizing the intricate dance between stability and change within our brains.

1. Free Will as a Spectrum

Free will can be broadly understood as the ability to make decisions independently, guided by oneā€™s own thoughts, beliefs, and desires. It is often tied to concepts of autonomy, agency, and responsibility. However, the precise definition of free will is a subject of ongoing debate across various disciplines, including philosophy, psychology, and neuroscience. The controversies often center around the nature and extent of free will, with views ranging from strict determinism (all our actions are predetermined) to libertarian free will (we have absolute freedom in our choices). While these debates are notable, for the purpose of our discussion, we will view free will as a capacity for making choices that are genuinely our own, even while acknowledging that these choices are influenced by a complex interplay of conscious and unconscious neural processes.

Conscious processing plays a critical role in our decision-making, as it allows us to deliberate, evaluate options, and make informed choices. This conscious aspect of decision-making is often tied to our sense of free will. Weā€™re aware of the thoughts and intentions leading to a decision, and we perceive these conscious processes as the driving force behind our actions.

Theories in cognitive science and neuroscience suggest that conscious thoughts are associated with higher-order cognitive functions such as planning, problem-solving, and complex decision-making. These functions involve multiple brain regions, including the prefrontal cortex, a key player in conscious thought and intentional actions. This conscious processing forms an essential part of our sense of free will, as it underpins our ability to make deliberate and informed choices.

The unconscious mind, despite not being accessible to our direct introspection, holds a significant sway in our decisions and actions. This domain of our psyche houses automatic processes, memories, and internalized norms that can subtly guide our behavior without our conscious awareness. Evidence from psychology and neuroscience, for instance, implicit bias studies and split-brain research, illustrate the unconscious mindā€™s profound influence.

Our decision-making is a complex interplay between conscious and unconscious processes. Often, we might believe that weā€™re making a decision based solely on conscious deliberation. However, our unconscious mind is simultaneously at work, subtly shaping our choices through processes like priming, conditioning, and automatic associations. This intricate interplay underpins our perception of free will. Understanding this interplay, with both conscious intention and unconscious influences shaping our decisions, helps us appreciate the nuanced nature of free will in neurobiological terms.

The concept of free will has long been discussed in the realms of philosophy, psychology, and neuroscience. Traditional discourses often grapple with the dualistic nature of free will, positing it either as a fully autonomous decision-making capability or as a construct influenced by deterministic factors. However, we propose an alternative perspective that combines these dichotomous views ā€“ free will as a spectrum.

In this spectrum model, free will is influenced by both conscious and unconscious neural processes, acknowledging that both play pivotal roles in our behavior. The conscious mind, with its capacity for focused attention, deliberation, and active decision-making, certainly holds significant sway over our actions. Yet, the unconscious mind, with its automatic processes, habits, and implicit knowledge, also shapes our behavior in profound ways. Neurological studies have provided ample evidence to support this dual influence.

For instance, research using techniques such as functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) has revealed that conscious decision-making activates a network of brain regions including the prefrontal cortex, associated with planning complex cognitive behavior and decision-making, and the parietal cortex, linked with perceptual awareness. On the other hand, unconscious processes have been tied to other parts of the brain like the basal ganglia, which plays a key role in habit formation, and the amygdala, central to emotional responses.

In our spectrum model of free will, we posit that an individualā€™s perceived sense of free will emerges from the cumulative influence of their conscious and unconscious neural wiring.

To understand the cumulative aspect, itā€™s vital to recognize that our neural wiring isnā€™t static. Instead, itā€™s a dynamic system that evolves over time, adapting and changing as we encounter new experiences, learn new skills, and form new memories. This cumulative process, shaped by both genetic factors and life experiences, leads to the unique configuration of neural networks within our brains.

From our earliest days of development, through childhood, adolescence, and into adulthood, our brain is continuously forming new neural connections, reinforcing certain pathways, and pruning others. These changes in neural wiring are influenced by a variety of factors - our interactions with the environment, our relationships, our educational experiences, and even our internal physiological states. This is where the process becomes cumulative.

Our conscious decisions and actions, driven by focused attention and deliberate thought, contribute to these changes in neural wiring. Equally, our unconscious processes, such as automatic behaviors, habitual responses, and implicit learning, also shape our neural networks over time. This results in a complex, interconnected web of neural circuits that simultaneously influence, and are influenced by, both conscious and unconscious processes.

This constant interplay between conscious and unconscious processes gives rise to a cumulative effect on our neural wiring. It shapes our perceptions, biases, preferences, and habits, ultimately influencing our decisions and actions. In this way, our free will ā€“ or our perceived capacity to make independent decisions ā€“ is a product of this cumulative process. Therefore, our unique location on the free will spectrum is determined by the sum of our conscious and unconscious neural wiring, a testament to our lifelong experiences and adaptations.

2 Likes

I only just remembered - hehe, that was fun while it lasted - not anymore ā€¦ the light no longer hurts my eyes ā€¦ I donā€™t need these blindfolds.

:robot: :robot: :pray:

1 Like

@Imogen Iā€™ve been listening to this:

I still refer to your reading as I go along and learn more :slight_smile:

he seems to have a pretty good grasp on non-dualism. I wonder if is represented in his movies

2 Likes