Universal Wheel of Fate: Sampo’s mill | Grotti (Private project)

Sampo forging, Väinö Blomstedt, 1897

What associations do these pictures evoke for you? Have you ever heard of Sampo Mill (Karelia) or Grotti Mill (Scandinavia)? The Millstones of fortune and prosperity and destiny…

Scandinavian mythology is full of descriptions of amazing things, mysterious objects and artifacts, with the help of which heroes could perform truly magical acts. The Grötti Mill is told to us in detail in an ancient epic. The Scandinavian Song of the Mill (and it is part of the Younger Edda) says that it is a magical object capable of grinding whatever the owner wants. In the magical arts there is a long-term classic money amulet “Grotti’s Millstones” (based on runic formulas), which adjusts the circumstances of human life so that it is more convenient and comfortable to “take” the flow of money, and also reach the desired. Behind the Grotti millstones are runic powers, fueled by two goddesses.

The people of Karelia from the beginning of the first millennium revered the symbol of Sampo. He was depicted in the form of a spinning wheel. Some information about Sampo as understood by the ancient pagan Karelians can be found in Wikipedia: Сámpo (Fin. Sampo) - in the Karelian-Finnish mythology, a unique miracle object, which has magical powers, and is a source of happiness, prosperity and abundance. Also known in Finnish and Ijora folklore is Sampsa Pellervo, the spirit of vegetation and fertility, who is awakened in the spring by the sun - then the bread in the fields begins to rise. The name “Sampsa” is thought to come from the Germanic designation for spring fodder grasses, meaning that Sampsa appears to be the fruit of the Earth awakening in the spring. The question of what is Sampo, and what this object looks like, is still open. In the works of scholars, Sampo is called just an inexhaustible bin of grain, and only later it is given the properties of a mill, to emphasize the process of transformation or conversion.

Attempts to explain intelligibly what Sampo is, were made repeatedly. It has been interpreted as a musical instrument, as a talisman, as a merchant ship, and even as all the land of Karelia and Finland. All that we learn from the text of “Kalevala” about Sampo does not correlate well with the stereotypical image of the mill, entrenched in the public consciousness. And yet, taking into account the depth and versatility of the image, to identify Sampo with the word “mill” seems to be the most compromise and appropriate solution both from the point of view of “functionality” and “appearance”.

Magical objects similar to Sampo are also found in the culture of other peoples and in fiction. If not to go deep into the mythological and philosophical maze, it is easier to imagine Sampo as a source of material wealth, as an object that gives its owner magical benefits. The image of Sampo is multifaceted and at the same time vague, it causes quite certain associations and at the same time refers to the problem of the universe.

The highest good Finns and kindred ancient Korels believed wisdom, which was the knowledge of the innermost forces of nature. This knowledge was the basis of their witchcraft, which consisted mainly in curing illnesses or in defensive magic. Scandinavian legends tell us that the Finns and Korels themselves adopted their witchcraft from a tribe of giants, the distant ancestors of the Nordic peoples, distinguished by their extraordinary wisdom. The peoples of ancient times were the bearers of ancient knowledge received from the gods and encrypted from the “uninitiated” in tales and myths. They were the keepers of the ancestral collective memory of the people and were always revered by their tribesmen. However, all interpretations of the image of Sampo testify to only one thing: the paucity of our understanding of the great pagan book, coming from our ignorance in understanding the great ancient wisdom embedded in it; wisdom not explained by our rationalism, but based on the centuries-old intuitive tradition of understanding the Nature and the World.

The American researcher G. Hancock, having studied all known folklore sources, in which the image of “mill” is present, came to a surprising conclusion that behind this image there is knowledge, describing some global event of cosmic scale and known to numerous cultures of antiquity. This project is also connected with personal destiny.

33 Likes

Just the other day I read a post where someone wrote something along the lines of “going to sleep one person and waking up a different person”. In terms of leveling up Sampo’s mill was one of the first NFTs that had a huge impact on me. I used to make a point of going to sleep holding the image between my fingers and the following morning I could tell that things had changed, that I had been transformed in some way. I absolutely loved it. I was always in awe the next day about how different I felt and made sure to take it to bed with me so the following day would be just as amazing.

This NFT is one of my very favourites. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t work with it. I feel it has truly changed me in all spheres of my life. I get a sense of strong winds blowing. Like cobwebs being blown out and erased. My beloved Venom helped me become more energy sensitive but I feel it was Sampo’s Mill that helped me start to understand. It’s like the winds blew through the passage ways and blew out the debris which in turn allowed the energy to flow more easily through me. It has helped me to become more perceptive, become a bit more wiser, more intuitive. I had and still have this sense of leveling up whenever I work with this NFT. There is so much about this NFT that I want to tell you about and yet I can’t articulate how it makes me feel other than to say that the Universal Wheel of Fate: Sampo’s mill is a truly special and life changing NFT. All of Dream’s NFTs are life changing but this NFT is very special. Thank you for designing this amazing NFT @Ugninis it will always remain one of my favourites. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

I love the Kalevala, hoping to pick this up one day

1 Like