Anti–USAG-1 therapy for tooth regeneration through enhanced BMP signaling

team of researchers describes how they genetically modified mice to suffer from tooth agenesis, where some teeth fail to develop. Injecting pregnant mice from this line with the USAG-1 antibody, however, resulted in normal tooth development among their offspring. Moreover, a single administration of the antibody caused the growth of a whole new tooth in regular mice.

The researchers decided to target the USAG-1 gene because it is known to inhibit two signaling molecules known as BMP and Wnt, both of which are involved in tooth development. However, because these compounds also control the growth of a wide range of other organs, interfering with them can produce an array of serious side-effects.

During their experiments, the team tested a number of different monoclonal antibodies that alter the ability of USAG-1 to interact with both BMP and Wnt, although several of these produced serious birth defects. Eventually, though, they hit upon a particular antibody that prevented the gene from binding with BMP, but had no impact on Wnt.

In doing so, they were able to stimulate tooth growth without producing any other unwanted effects. Based on this finding, the authors conclude that USAG-1 prevents the growth of teeth by binding to BMP, thereby reducing its activity.

In a statement, study author Katsu Takahashi explained that “we knew that suppressing USAG-1 benefits tooth growth. What we did not know was whether it would be enough.” Yet the team’s results indicate that inhibiting the gene’s activity allows for a sufficient increase in BMP for the growth of new teeth.

While this technique is nowhere near ready to be trialed on humans, the researchers did test the antibody on ferrets. These animals have similar dental patterns to humans, and, like us, are diphyodont, meaning they have a set of milk teeth that are later replaced by adult teeth.

Results indicated that the treatment is just as effective for ferrets, with a single dose of the antibody sparking the generation of a whole tooth. This suggests that the technique may work for humans, too, although a number of safety concerns will need to be overcome before this can be tested.

For now, the researchers say they are planning to repeat the experiment on other mammals such as pigs and dogs.

13 Likes

yes i found this
but thanks for posting!
was thinking of updating the plasma teeth with it
but this shouldn’t be used on kids is the caveat

23 Likes

You welcome Captain.

it could be an item for over 14th years old or 16th years old, most kids still have healthy teeth or milk teeth.

4 Likes

I just bought the Plasma Teeth today, specifically for use on kids.:sweat_smile: Am trying to put off as much as possible having to visit the dentist during lockdown.

So I shouldn’t use it after the update, thanks for the heads up. :+1: but it’s still safe at the moment (pre update) for the young ones right?

Erm, when it’s updated, wonder if the old one could possibly have a kid-safe healing of lip wounds / mouth ulcers / canker sores included? A child dealing with mouth/lip wounds is so pitiful, and of course the adults/caregivers are also stressed for those few long days. It’s hard to get them to eat, and oral care ends in wrestling and crying. It happens often enough that I have a saved playlist for it (a hodgepodge of fields I throw together and hope will work, like bacteria destroyer, skin regen, gum regen, vit c, stem cells to face, etc) and it becomes my night playlist for as long as they’re unwell.

4 Likes

oh no no
i mean update as in adding a whole new audio as an additional download to that item.
so your fine

19 Likes

Ah right. Like the Advanced Healing + Voltage, or Plasma Flower + Node. Thanks!

1 Like

This article revive my hope of regrowing my extracted tooth. Tried a custom audio from another creator without results.
Really looking forward to be a guinea pig for the updated plasma tooth

3 Likes

could you please add teeth straightening/alignment to it? That would upgrade it to a Legendary field :smiley:

4 Likes

Nice! As someone who has had teeth issues all his life despite trying to take care of them as much as possible, this would be lovely. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

That would be great! Thanks!
So if u bought the original u would get the update too?

2 Likes

yeh
an email is usually sent out with the addition/update to all previous buyers

8 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Wow that was fast! Just got the email and downloaded the new one. (Immediately marked as NSFK.) Thank you Captain!